Water in Block

helpwanted

Recruit
Late last fall my boat sat outside (with Sunbrella cover) and drain plug left in. Cover wasn't water tight and I found about 8" or more of rain water in the boat. Water drained and boat moved to dry storage - everything dry since November. Today I went to change oil (boat hasn't been used since last summer) and found I had as much water as oil in the pan. Do I dare replace the oil and filter and try to turn it over? If not, what are my next steps? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks - Helpwanted

alldodge

Staff member
Re: Water in Block

Welcome to the forum

I hope you have drained/pulled the water and oil out of the pan before posting. If there is damage, changing and cranking the engine will not change it. Put some new oil and filter in it, pre-prime the filter and crank it over some. May want to pull the coil wire for a some revolutions to get the oil circulating, but fire it up and see what you have. As before, if something is rusted up, it will be rusted up after this. Your only other choice is to take it apart and see, and if it was mine I would fire it up. Good luck

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer

As much water as oil in the pan doesn't sound like Run-off onto the motor. Something else is going on there. Did you start the motor this season? Was it winterized (block drained)? I seen a motor where the plug was left in over the winter, the water in bilge was over the pan gasket and no water in the oil. But with that much water, you may have starter inspection as well.

helpwanted

Recruit

Since I first posted I have pulled the spark plugs (a little rust on the outside - clean on inside). The cap, points, and rotor looked clean and dry. I plan to refill oil and install new filter, put in new plugs, and turn it over (appreciate the pull the coil lead suggestion). If it runs I'll let it go to temp and then change out the oil and filter again.

As for the 'run off water' thought - with the drain plug in I accumulated about 8" of water depth inside the boat. I wish I had taken better notice of the actual depth - it might have made it easier to understand how the water enter the block.

Thanks - any additional thoughts?

Bondo

Staff member

Since I first posted I have pulled the spark plugs (a little rust on the outside - clean on inside). The cap, points, and rotor looked clean and dry. I plan to refill oil and install new filter, put in new plugs, and turn it over (appreciate the pull the coil lead suggestion). If it runs I'll let it go to temp and then change out the oil and filter again.

As for the 'run off water' thought - with the drain plug in I accumulated about 8" of water depth inside the boat. I wish I had taken better notice of the actual depth - it might have made it easier to understand how the water enter the block.

Thanks - any additional thoughts?

Ayuh,... Was the motor Winterized,..??

chimmike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Don't turn it over until you crank it with ALL spark plugs removed.

I'd also spray some B12 and deep creep into each cylinder in case the rings are frozen. Cranking without plugs will let it do so more freely, no compression.

IGeeky1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Don't turn it over until you crank it with ALL spark plugs removed.

I'd also spray some B12 and deep creep into each cylinder in case the rings are frozen. Cranking without plugs will let it do so more freely, no compression.

I second this, some sort of lubricant... pb blaster, mm oil or something to lessen likelihood of rust holding rings to cylinder. Maybe even a couple light applications over a couple days prior to turning engine over.