mercruiser starter relay shorted

dehphoenix

Recruit
There is a single red wire attached to a square block mounted on the relay. I disconnected the wire to clean the terminal and forgot to disconnect the battery. When I used a socket to tighten the nut on the terminal it contacted the body of the relay housing and sparks flew. Now when I turn the key I get no clicking, no instruments, no accessories. I can still short the other two terminals on the relay and turn over the engine. How can I find out what is wrong? blown fuse or did I mess up the relay?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: mercruiser starter relay shorted

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Whatcha workin' on,..??

What motor,..??

What drive,..??

What vintage,..??

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

inside that plastic block is the 90A link thats blown.

dehphoenix

Recruit

inside that plastic block is the 90A link thats blown.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Whatcha workin' on,..??

What motor,..??

What drive,..??

What vintage,..??

It is a Mercruiser 3.0 1998 Sea Ray. I replaced the link with a 60A for now because that was all I could find and it solved the problem. Engine starts and all instruments and accessories work. The manual does not talk about the link but calls for a circuit breaker that I could not locate. Not sure what is supposed to be there, a 90A link or 50A circuit breaker. I am thinking the 60A link is ok.

Thanks for your help.

IGeeky1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

60A is safe, it is more likely to blow again than a 90A but puts you and your system in no danger electrical wise.

Since it is more likely to blow than a 90A make sure you know how to jump the starter solenoid in case of emergency and that you keep an appropriate plastic handled screwdriver aboard.