Starting 2.3 hp Honda after tilt

Wolfies

Recruit
When I'm not running my brand new 2.3 hp Honda outboard on my American 18 daysailer, I tilt it up. To get it tilted all the way up, I have to turn the motor sideways (tiller/handle up). When I tilt down to start, it takes multiple pulls and throttle pumps for first start. I'm wondering if the carburetor bowl drains in this storage position? Is there a better way to pump/prime prior to starting? The other clue is that when I brought the motor home from the dealer, in the same handle-up horizontal position, I had some gas leakage into my wife's SUV; not good for domestic peace!

MattFL

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Starting 2.3 hp Honda after tilt

Be sure to turn the gas valve off before tilting, and I believe that motor should have tiller handle down when close to horizontal. Check the motor stickers or manual on that... I bought one of those motors for my brother, fantastic little motor!

MattFL

Master Chief Petty Officer

Also experiment with giving it a little throttle or choke when starting it. I don't remember that motor having a primer button, and no accelerator pump so twisting the throttle back and forth won't really do anything for you.

Wolfies

Recruit

Bingo! I missed the fuel valve lever on the back of the motor housing. Many thanks. My wife seems to be getting over the minor damage to her SUV's carpeting. . .