Merc 650 bottom carb not sucking as much air as top

SEABEE#2

Seaman
I just acquired a merc 650 believed to be from 1969 serial number 2715754. The motor is the 4 cylinder version. The motor has good compression and spark but it runs like crap. I noticed that the top carburetor sucks quite a bit of air in which I believe is normal while the bottom one sucks in very little. What can be the cause of this and how can I fix this? I just took the carbs off and will be doing a rebuild. Any suggestions?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Merc 650 bottom carb not sucking as much air as top

Have you checked compression? The sealing of the rings and cylinder wall condition affect the "sucking" ability to draw air and fuel into the motor.

SEABEE#2

Seaman

Yes compression is even across all cylinders last time I checked. I also checked spark and I have spark.

mercurymang

Master Chief Petty Officer

It could also the the lower seals. If they're shot, you'll be sucking in air/water from the there bypassing your carb.

SEABEE#2

Seaman

Where are the lower seals located?

Will Liston

Cadet

Make sure your compression test is done at normal operating temp. If its done wrong it can give you a false sense of security.

SEABEE#2

Seaman

Any reason the carb wouldnt be sucking air?

Anyone know where the lower seals are located?

bgc

Ensign

A bad seal allows the air to be drawn in from below vs the carb. Check for clean spark plugs and or pistons on 4 and 2. I smoked some pistons running with a bad lower seal.