New issue with steering

iggyw1

Master Chief Petty Officer
I have the pulley and cable steering system on an older boat. the cable came completely off the drum which is at the end of the steering shaft under the dashboard. I read on here to wind the new cable 4 times or so on each section of the drum, one way for one cable and the opposite way for the other cable. When I do this using the old cable, the cable is waaaaay to short to reach the motor at the back of the boat, yet it worked great for many years! Is it possible that the cable only was wound maybe two winds or only wound one time around the drum originally?

Also, the directions I read for winding the cable around the drum stated to wind in the direction of the grooves on the drum. My drum has no grooves. It is not worn out, but made with absolutely no grooves. If I keep it wound up on the drum four windings with a new cable, when I make a turn I am adding more winds to one side of the drum, would the extra winds not make things bind if I have no grooves? So this also makes me think that originally I only had maybe one or two winds on the drum???

Bondo

Staff member
Re: New issue with steering

I have the pulley and cable steering system on an older boat. the cable came completely off the drum which is at the end of the steering shaft under the dashboard. I read on here to wind the new cable 4 times or so on each section of the drum, one way for one cable and the opposite way for the other cable. When I do this using the old cable, the cable is waaaaay to short to reach the motor at the back of the boat, yet it worked great for many years! Is it possible that the cable only was wound maybe two winds or only wound one time around the drum originally?

Also, the directions I read for winding the cable around the drum stated to wind in the direction of the grooves on the drum. My drum has no grooves. It is not worn out, but made with absolutely no grooves. If I keep it wound up on the drum four windings with a new cable, when I make a turn I am adding more winds to one side of the drum, would the extra winds not make things bind if I have no grooves? So this also makes me think that originally I only had maybe one or two winds on the drum???

Ayuh,... I'll move this to the Right forum for ya,...

At the FAQ forum, in the stickies is a thread explainin' the procedure, with a diagram,...
See post #6,...

Last edited: