270 out-drive won't raise

flounder1967

Cadet
I have a 1985 AQ 125b 270 out-drive ;;;; the out drive will lower it's self but won't raise. I can lift it manually the it'll lower when I hit the switch!!! Any help would be appreciated:confused:

hamandbeans

Recruit
Re: 270 out-drive won't raise

I have same engine and drive. I assume it is a electric powered mechanical lift? Same thing happened to me last year. It is probably relay switch that is on top of the lift mechanism. Look on right hand side of motor when facing rear of boat. Should be a couple wires that are attached to the swith. If you switch them around you should be able to raise the drive when switching the lift switch to lower. If that work that is your problem and you need a new relay switch.
Here is schmeatic and parts numbers.
Volvo Penta Schematic Part Diagrams

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

If the motor runs the vice rod down without a load on it, it's probably not the relay. Might want to check first.

possum2082

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i just went through this at the beginning of the summer. stupid electrical tilt.

here's what i did:

i tested my motor by taking it off and making sure the roll pin on the shaft was intact and then i tested it on a car battery i had (both directions)

then i tested my switch and relays at the top.

lastly, i took it apart and found the round clutch that rides up and down the vise rod jacked up.

some iboaters informed me that i needed to trailer my outdrive with the special volvo bracket and never put the boat in gear with the outdrive not completely down.

good luck...btw, i have a true vise rod and extra motor.

also, the volvo shop manual talks about inserting a washer if the spring inside is too compressed.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

General maint. You should test the relays and clean the contacts.
Check all electrical contacts.
Then every 2-3 years take the lift mechanism out and take it apart and grease the gears and rod.
It(grease) gets old, gums up, making the motor work too hard and can overheat it.

bobcox_54

Recruit

I was having a similar problem. The push rod that releases the reverse lock was out of adjustment. After taking it apart and filling the hole (were the lift rod comes down) to remove a small burr and adjusting the thrust sleeve everything works great. Hope this helps.