Fuel pump does not pump to carb Mercruiser 4.3

tone_searay185

Recruit
I have a 1991 Mercruiser 4.3 2 bbl that isn't getting gas to the carb. The last owner didn't properly treat the gas and it sat for 8 months with 1/4 tank of gas.

I added Stabil and 10 gallons of gas, then I replaced the in-line filter and the in-carb filter (which was completely clogged), but it quickly ran out of fuel, so I replaced the in-line, fuel pump and in-carb filters and now it doesn't get any fuel to the carb. I removed the line from the pump to carb and it is clean The in-line filter fills with gas as soon as I crank it over, but nothing comes out of the tube at the carb end (I ran clear tubing to a catch bottle).

Since the filter before the pump filled, I assume that the pump is good, but should I replace it?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Fuel pump does not pump to carb Mercruiser 4.3

I have a 1991 Mercruiser 4.3 2 bbl that isn't getting gas to the carb. The last owner didn't properly treat the gas and it sat for 8 months with 1/4 tank of gas.

I added Stabil and 10 gallons of gas, then I replaced the in-line filter and the in-carb filter (which was completely clogged), but it quickly ran out of fuel, so I replaced the in-line, fuel pump and in-carb filters and now it doesn't get any fuel to the carb. I removed the line from the pump to carb and it is clean The in-line filter fills with gas as soon as I crank it over, but nothing comes out of the tube at the carb end (I ran clear tubing to a catch bottle).

Since the filter before the pump filled, I assume that the pump is good, but should I replace it?

Ayuh,... There's an extremely Good chance that both the Carb, 'n the Fuel Pump are full of the same crap that was in the filters,....

tone_searay185

Recruit

Thanks, I'll rebuild the carb, but do I need to replace the fuel pump or is there a way to rebuild or clean it? I'm guessing that the outlet may be clogged.

I'm also adding a water separator filter since it doesn't have one, where is the best place to put it? Just outside the engine bay would make it easy to get to but then it might get bumped by something going in that area.

smackdn775

Cadet

There is also the anti syphon on the tank and fuel screen in the tank that may be full of crap also, you may want to replace the anti syphon and look/clean the screen

Bondo

Staff member

Thanks, I'll rebuild the carb, but do I need to replace the fuel pump or is there a way to rebuild or clean it? I'm guessing that the outlet may be clogged.

I'm also adding a water separator filter since it doesn't have one, where is the best place to put it? Just outside the engine bay would make it easy to get to but then it might get bumped by something going in that area.

Ayuh,.... Anywhere 'tween the Tank, 'n the Fuel Pump,...

NHGuy

Captain

Just run some fuel or air through the line. I bet you can assist it through the pump too. I'd also remove the line back at the vent and before the pump, then blow air or fuel through the fuel delivery system once the tank is clean. That should push out any crud in the line. Or replace the line if you want to be perfect.

tone_searay185

Recruit

Great idea about pushing air through the line, since the pump is pulling gas to the in-line filter hopefully the tank side is ok. I'm adding a water separator, so I'm replacing much of the fuel line anyway and the line from the pump to carb is clean. I'll pull the line exiting the pump and add a brass fitting and some clear line so I can see the junk coming through...otherwise I'll be replacing the pump too.

I'm rebuilding the carb since it is just a 2 BBL and the adjustments are pretty simple.

Thanks for all the info!