How to identify an old boat with no markings?

The Wright Stuff

Seaman Apprentice
I recently purchased my first boat. The seller told me it was a 73 and it says that its a 73 on the title. However there are no marking of anykind on the boat to idetify make or model. There is a ID # etched onto a plate attached to the boat but it hardly looks like original equipment and the ID# is just scratched onto it. Its an old fiberglass tri-hull(I believe its called)<br /><br />Is there a site somewhere that just has pics that I could look through of 73 model boat for some type of ID?<br /><br />If its something Im not able to find out its not a big deal but was just curious. <br /><br />Here is a pic of it. The top color looks like it was originally green under the gray.<br /><br />EDIT- pic isn't showing. heres a link to it.<br /><br /> http://photobucket.com/albums/v119/thewrightstuff/photos/?action=view&current=IMG00002.jpg <br /><br />
photos

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander
Re: How to identify an old boat with no markings?

What's the number scratched into the ID plate that you have? It could be that it is indeed an original ID plate and the number was scratched in instead of stamped in. It also could be a replacement because the original s/n was destroyed because of repair, repainting or some other modification.<br /><br />The serial number will tell you the manufacturer and date (date is usually the last two digits, manufacturer is ?? the first two or three - can't remember off hand). Manufacturers, even small ones, have a distinctive ID code that is identifiable on the US Coast Guard web site. I know because I have a locally built boat, from a very small outfit that is now out of business, and it's code is on the USCG site.<br /><br />Also, if you haven't looked already, really look hard on the transom, there might be an original serial number scratched or stamped into it somewhere. <br /><br />But tell us what numbers you have, it might have the info you're lookign for.

The Wright Stuff

Seaman Apprentice

5C3736<br /><br />Thats the ID # etched on the boat. I can tell the plate its scratched onto isn't original. Ive looked very hard all over the boat and havent seen any other type of identification anywhere.

Realgun

Commander

Well it looks pretty good. Kinda like a center console trihull bass boat.