1994 115hp merc telltale

mdka999

Cadet
I bought a boat this spring with a 1994 merc 115hp 2 stroke. I had the lower unit oil and water pump impeller changed. I have used the boat a lot this summer but have noticed water coming out the telltale hose very infrequently. I have never had a warning alarm either. Do I need to worry or should I check the overheat sensor/thermostat? the motor runs fairly good, it doesn't have a nice smooth transition from slow speed to mid range but I understand this is not unusual. wot is good.

jhow0228

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1994 115hp merc telltale

Is the infrequent stream at WOT or idle?

jhow0228

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have a '92 XR6 that is sporadic when I'm idling but is strong when at WOT. If you've used it a lot and not heard any alarms and haven't lost any performance out of the motor, you should be ok. But it wouldn't hurt to have the t-stat checked and the water lines.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

If the xr6 is like the the regular 150 you are plumbed off the stats. The 115 4 cyl is plumbed off the exhaust manifold and has nothing to do with internal block temperature....I have the manual for that engine right in front of me. If the drive shaft is turning the water pump is pumping and the exhaust manifold gets (has to get to keep from burning the paint off) fresh water hence pee should be available within a few seconds of startup...it is on my 3 cyl of that design. And yes since the pump is driven off the drive shaft as the engine rpms increase so does the intensity of the stream. But at idle my pee would penetrate the water (the boat was sitting in) a couple of inches with an old impeller.

Sooo sir, check your pee tube and if necessary remove your nylon rt angle connector and run a wire around in the manifold. Run the engine to check for water while the fitting is out. Dirt dobbers and the like just love to clog up open holes on boats. Other thing is that if you have been running in water containing weeds and the like the hose may be plugged at the hose adapter that secures the hose to the cowl on the right side of the engine. Running a water hose through the tube with the source end disconnected would be a good idea.

HTH,
Mark

mdka999

Cadet

Thanks everyone for the advice. The elbow was plugged. after cleaning this weekend it works great. starts to flow right after startup. thanks again. this forum is the best!