Baffled by '57 Johnson CD-14

boeing707100

Cadet
Hello! I am new to iBoats.

I have a 1957 Johnson CD-14 5.5 HP that I'm trying to put back into service. It's really in pretty nice shape. I've carefully replaced the points, coils, condensers and spark plugs. I set the points using the factory timing tool and an analog multimeter. I've rebuilt the carb, replacing the worn high-speed needle. I resealed the gearcase with a new water pump impeller. I removed the cylinder head, and scrubbed off the carbon from the head and pistons. I removed the exhaust cover and scrubbed out the carbon. New gaskets for the powerhead.

Here's the problem: It runs like CRAP. I've got fresh gas with BRP TC-W3 XD-50 oil, 25:1 mix. It's hard to start, and when it finally does, it acts like it's REALLY flooded. After I run it, it has 2-cycle oil streaming down the inside of the lower unit for days - emptying onto the floor.

I thought that it might be the reed valves, but I they look okay to me. No cracks.

I like to think of myself as a meticulous mechanic. But obviously I'm not that good because I can't figure this thing out.
I'm hoping that somebody else on here will know this thing better than me and give me some guidance.

Thank you!

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Baffled by '57 Johnson CD-14

Welcome to the forum.
Did you get the float set properly?
Did you replace gasket around the nozzel tube in the float bowel?
Low speed needle set correctly?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

To start, what is the compression?

Step 2, are you getting a bright, blue spark that will jump a 1/4" gap on a tester with a bright blue ZAP!!>?k

Might not be running on both cylinders.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

These motors will have a small amount of unburned fuel exiting the leg after running. However, if there's a LOT of that, then there's a good chance it is not running on one cylinder and that cylinder's fuel is running through unburned. Start up the motor with one plug wire unhooked and grounded. If motor does not start, then you know that was the one it was running on. If it does start and runs the same as before, then you can be pretty sure the one you undid is the culprit.

boeing707100

Cadet

Welcome to the forum.
Did you get the float set properly?
Did you replace gasket around the nozzel tube in the float bowel?
Low speed needle set correctly?

Thanks. I did set the float properly. By the gasket around the nozzle tube, do you mean Part #40 or #41 in the attached diagram? If so, yes, I replaced both of those. I've worked pretty hard with both the high and low speed needles, out on the lake and in the barrel. So I think I've got them set correctly.

boeing707100

Cadet

These motors will have a small amount of unburned fuel exiting the leg after running. However, if there's a LOT of that, then there's a good chance it is not running on one cylinder and that cylinder's fuel is running through unburned. Start up the motor with one plug wire unhooked and grounded. If motor does not start, then you know that was the one it was running on. If it does start and runs the same as before, then you can be pretty sure the one you undid is the culprit.

Wow. I never thought of that. I'll give it a try and let you know. Thanks Chinewalker!

boeing707100

Cadet

To start, what is the compression?

Step 2, are you getting a bright, blue spark that will jump a 1/4" gap on a tester with a bright blue ZAP!!>?k

Might not be running on both cylinders.

I'm getting bright blue spark in both cylinders, but I don't have a tester to measure the jump. I think you guys are on to something though with the missing cylinder. I'll try what Chinewalker suggested and see if that pinpoints the culprit. I've got good compression in both cylinders.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

What is good compression? You will need a gauge to determine this. If not, you will be chasing your tail. That is always step 1

lindy46

Captain

I'd check spark with a spark tester - it should jump a 1/4" gap with a snappy blue-white spark. If you have good compression and good spark, and it still runs lousy, then you have a fuel delivery issue. Did you replace the fuel lines? Is your tank properly pressurizing? Did you remove the welch plug from the top of the carb and clean the idle circuit beneath? If you've done all that, it could be the carb itself. I had a CD12 which ran like crap after I rebuilt the carb and replaced all the electrical. I finally replaced the carb and she ran fine. I figure there must have been a defect like an internal crack somewhere which was causing problems.