What Kind of On-the-Spot Repair Kit Do You Carry?

Loop_Dad

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I had my second leak on my inflatable this weekend. It appears to happen because I jammed it into a tight spot in my car. I noticed a slow lead while I was preparing to launch. There were two pin holes. It was leaking in the speed that in 10 minutes, I was able to tell it was deflating. It was big enough that I was able to hear where hiss sounds was coming from.

I had crazy glue for my fishing and had some duct tape. I deflated, used the glue in the pin holes and covered with duct tape. It held the air fine. After 30 min on the water (lake), I noticed that chamber was slowly leaking. I kept pumping every 30 minutes while I fished and it was okay.

What do you folks carry as far as repair kit that you can use while you are out?

G

Re: What Kind of On-the-Spot Repair Kit Do You Carry?

I had my second leak on my inflatable this weekend. It appears to happen because I jammed it into a tight spot in my car. I noticed a slow lead while I was preparing to launch. There were two pin holes. It was leaking in the speed that in 10 minutes, I was able to tell it was deflating. It was big enough that I was able to hear where hiss sounds was coming from.

I had crazy glue for my fishing and had some duct tape. I deflated, used the glue in the pin holes and covered with duct tape. It held the air fine. After 30 min on the water (lake), I noticed that chamber was slowly leaking. I kept pumping every 30 minutes while I fished and it was okay.

What do you folks carry as far as repair kit that you can use while you are out?

I just searched and found some clear repair kits sold right on intex website. Not to expensive either

mrdrh99

Senior Chief Petty Officer

That's what i use, the clear ones i got from rubber boats.com.....i also used 2 of the larger ones to hold my registration sticker on...works great!

Sinistre1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I use tear aid (actually looks like a little band-aid box for boats) for the small pin holes. Works very, very well. Haven't lost a patch yet but they do discolor after a while (in my case took about a year). They go on clear so maybe those are the ones you are talking about

smashed

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I use tear aid (actually looks like a little band-aid box for boats) for the small pin holes. Works very, very well. Haven't lost a patch yet but they do discolor after a while (in my case took about a year). They go on clear so maybe those are the ones you are talking about

Where do you get those from? I found one pin hole on the bottom of my mariner 4 the other day which explained the small amounts of water I find every time after a couple of hours on the water.

mrdrh99, great idea to hold the registration stickers. I laminated mine last week but the wind plays with them all the time.

Last edited:

Sinistre1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally got it online (Amazon, if I recall correctly). But some of the bigger sporting stores have it too. I know I saw it in Gander mountain a couple of years back and West Marine, I believe.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Yep. Big box sporting goods stores carry it. I've seen it at Academy. Be sure you get the right type as there are two, one for PVC et al and one for hypalon. Works great for repairing tents and all sorts of other stuff too. A must have for any outdoorsman.

Loop_Dad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yep. Big box sporting goods stores carry it. I've seen it at Academy. Be sure you get the right type as there are two, one for PVC et al and one for hypalon. Works great for repairing tents and all sorts of other stuff too. A must have for any outdoorsman.

I went to Tear-Aid site. They have Type A for Fablic Repair and Type B for Vinyl Repair. I am guessing Type B works for PVC? I didn't see anything specific to hypalon or PVC on their site.

Sinistre1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Type B, IIRC.. I think PVC and vinyl are related cousins! Lol. It should say on the box good for inflatables or something to that effect

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Yep. Type B for PVC. I have to carry both on float trips since I have a hypalon boat.

CopperFox

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Since patches are a separate layer, when a tight bend or fold occurs in the material it puts a lot of stress on the interface between the boat and patch materials. For this reason, if it is only a pin hole, what I find works best is a liquid repair that I believe very slightly dissolves the surface of the PVC just enough to fill in the hole. Sevylor makes the product I use, for about $6 for a small vial and I have never had one of these fail.

Loop_Dad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, fellas. I've ordered the Tier-Aid, and I will probably get the liquid type sealer also.