propeller won't spin

It is a 1987 galaxy station with a 5.7 liter omc cobra outdrive. The engine turns on fine goes in gear but the prop won't spin. The engine revs when you hit the throttle but prop won't spin. I feel like somethings striped. Thanks for the help

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: propeller won't spin

How do you know it goes in gear if the prop doesn't spin? In the water? On muffs?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Because the lever moves into forward and reverse does not mean that motion is being transferred to the lower unit.

QC

Supreme Mariner

If you give us a little more we can help you. Do you know how to remove the prop? Can you run her on muffs? Just ask more questions and get us more info and we can help, but for now this is too vague for us to help much.

yea i can remove the prop. what are muffs?

So it starts up fine and it seems to click into gear. Its an older boat, an 87, so when i put it in gear you can feel it a little, it has always been that way. But now it feels like it goes into gear but the prop won't spin. engine revs normal and everything. it feels like theres a striped gear or somethings striped somewhere. Let me know what other info you need and i will get back to you immediately. Thanks again

southkogs

Staff member

yea i can remove the prop. what are muffs?
Muffs - Muffs.jpg- you need water runnin' through the system when you have it going in the driveway.

Take the propeller off, engage the drive. Does the shaft move? If so, you may be dealing with a spun prop hub. If the shaft ain't movin' then you have a bigger problem in a gearbox most likely.

Welcome aboard.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I think it is time for a shop.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

Drain the gear lube and look for shiny debris or water/rust, then pull the outdrive off the boat, do a visual inspection of the u-joints and yoke, check shift linkage etc by trying to move the shift flag by hand while turning input shaft, then if needed, split upper from lower and rebuild as necessary.

Skipperlll

Cadet

yes we need more info.
yes you see the muffs now.
No you don't need to run the motor now.
Remove prop.
turn the prop shaft by hand and shift in to gear, the shaft will engage and not turn.

If it dose turn you have a a shift problem and maybe something broken.
Go do it and report back

Skipperlll
my specialty is simple solutions for complex problems.
I also just re-built my upper and lower unit. and saved $1,000

Ok so the shaft spins freely until I engage into forward or reverse, then it locks up.

I drained the oil from the outdrive and there was quite a bit of metal shavings and also on the drain plug.
What does this mean?

photo_zps3226c377.jpg

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

it means you need to take the outdrive off the boat and have it rebuilt. Budget around $2000 +/- $500, or roll the dice in the used market.
Or, you can convert to a new Mercruiser style drive with SEI's conversion kit for around $2500.

Take the top cover off the top of your upper and see what it looks like in there- will give you some more idea of how extensive of a rebuild would be req'd.