Might be time for a new boat

oldjeep

Admiral
My 05 Bayliner is in nearly mint condition, space wise it is fine but as the kids have gotten older and heavier (and I've just gotten older) I'm having a tougher time getting up on 1 ski behind it. Its fine once up but the little 3.0L just hasn't got as much power as I'd like. If I could just drop in a 4.3L or 5.0L I'd do it but that looks like more trouble than it is worth.

Starting to look around at possible replacements. Originally thought that a V-drive ski boat would be nice, but after spending some time in the waves and shallow launches in a tournament ski boat I like the versatility that the I/O gives me.

Interesting thing is that so far the boats I've looked at are nearly the same price and there isn't a heck of a lot of difference if any in quality.

They all come with a 4.3L or 5.0L, except for the chaparral which for some reason starts out at a 3.0L

Bayliner 195
Bayliner 215 (sweet L shaped seating Option)
Chaparral 19 Sport
Four Winns H190
Four Winns H200 (Sweet L shaped seating Option)

If you were to take the name off the sides, I'd have a hard time telling you which was which except that the Chap has a lot less equipment in the base configuration. The Four Winns has the nicest interior, more due to the colors than anything else.

Also took a quick look at a Tahoe and my only impression was that my 8 year old boat was nicer.

Any other boats to look at?
The requirements are basically:
19-20ft class
4.3L or better for a motor
open bow
Huge swim platform needs to be an option so that I can eliminate that option
Under 35K
Tower optional - what I'm seeing in the mfg pricing is that you are better off just buying your own tower unless you want to spend 4K and get a hokey graphics package with it.

OrangeTJ

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Might be time for a new boat

Those are all nice boats, though I personally would lean toward one with either L or wraparound seating if available. Another builder to add to the list to check out is Monterey. We looked at both their 20 and 22 footers when we were shopping and I thought they seemed very nice. IIRC, the 20 had the standard two buckets and rear bench seating byt the 22 had more of a wraparound setup. Also, if you're open to used, you will have a ton more options to look at. For instance, a buddy of mine just picked up a Chaparral 196 ssi with a 5.0 for about $15K and the thing is immaculate and very well optioned out. Very nice boat. Heck, for $35K, you could probably score a nicely maintained and gently used Cobalt 200 or 210.

oldjeep

Admiral

I definitely like the wrap around type seating, which is one reason we started out looking at the V-drives. Haven't found a 19-20ft runabout yet that has a full wraparound like an LSV 20, but a couple have the bucket fronts with a partial L on the passenger side.

I'm not much for used cars, truck or boats just because you have no idea if the engines were properly broken in or what the maint was like. I'm hoping that this next boat will last us at least 10 years.

OrangeTJ

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I don't know of any 19 - 20 footers with full wrap around seating, but I will throw in that our Yamaha SX210 is a 21 footer with exactly that type of seating and a very spacious bow. If you boat in waters with heavy vegetation, I wouldn't recommend it, but if your water is relatively weed free, it's an option to at least consider. We love ours for our boating, which consists of tubing, boarding, cruising and just tying up and relaxing.

matt167

Captain

Yamaha boats are really nice but they are Jets and Jets are not the best for water sports since they can get tugged around by whatever is getting towed ( no directional force to the boat like a prop. Jet only provides water pressure ). They can work, but would be a great compromise for what Oldjeep is looking for

tom267

Cadet

Have you taken a look at the Regal 2000? Nice I/O with 4.3L Standard and that "partial" L seating. Under 35K, no standard tower. (Thanks for your notes on my thread BTW) :joyous: Also the Glastron GT 205 is nice. And for a little more the GTS 205 has a really sporty interior that makes me drool.

Last edited:

rowlex

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i made the switch from a 1950 to a 2150. I would never go back to a 19' boat.

get the 215 with the v8!

oldjeep

Admiral

Have you taken a look at the Regal 2000? Nice I/O with 4.3L Standard and that "partial" L seating. Under 35K, no standard tower. (Thanks for your notes on my thread BTW) :joyous: Also the Glastron GT 205 is nice. And for a little more the GTS 205 has a really sporty interior that makes me drool.

I saw a Regal 2000 online at one of the local dealers, but the price was $48K with a 225 Volvo so I didn't look at the actual boat. From the pictures their seating in the back is a little weird - a jump seat beside the engine on the drivers side and then the l shape starts in front of the motor.

Haven't looked at a Glastron yet, but it does look like it falls into the category I'm looking at.