Gen 2 alpha exhaust flappers burnt

I have a 1999 searay 215 express cruiser with a 5.0 mercruiser/gen 2 alpha 1 outdrive. We went out last week and ancbored out and went to shore. When we came back our boat was beached and sitting in 6 in of water. We finally got it out and when we started going our boat overheated and we had to get towed In. Well long story short I had shut it down right so it didn't do any damage to the motor
Once I got it home I checked the outdrive and the hose from the impeller on the outdrive was off. Also the exhaust bellows was off and and there were burnt pieces of the exhaust flappers thst I pulled out of the exhaust. I got the hose back on and the exhaust bellows and ran it on the hose and it ran just fine and stayed at the right temp
My question is will it b alright to run in the water with parts of the exhaust flappers gone? Please let me know asap

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Gen 2 alpha exhaust flappers burnt

I have a 1999 searay 215 express cruiser with a 5.0 mercruiser/gen 2 alpha 1 outdrive. We went out last week and ancbored out and went to shore. When we came back our boat was beached and sitting in 6 in of water. We finally got it out and when we started going our boat overheated and we had to get towed In. Well long story short I had shut it down right so it didn't do any damage to the motor
Once I got it home I checked the outdrive and the hose from the impeller on the outdrive was off. Also the exhaust bellows was off and and there were burnt pieces of the exhaust flappers thst I pulled out of the exhaust. I got the hose back on and the exhaust bellows and ran it on the hose and it ran just fine and stayed at the right temp
My question is will it b alright to run in the water with parts of the exhaust flappers gone? Please let me know asap

Ayuh,.... If you didn't change the Impeller, I wouldn't run it til ya Do,...

I'm havin' a hard time seein' the damage ya found from the incident,...
Hard to believe the feed hose just popped off,...

The Shutters are a Gamble,... If ya Loose, it's only yer Motor,...

rock doc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Raw water line popped off my drive recently. I would replace your riser gaskets and make sure you get all the of pieces of the flapper/shutters out. Check cylinders and oil for evidence of water. A compression test may be a good idea too.

Bondo has given me lots of good advice so I would also replace the impeller. Good opp to check the drive oil for water intrusion. Did you end up dragging the boat off the shore while it was still grounded?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Hell, I`d be worrried about how much sand you pumped into the engine.What were you thinking in 6 inches of water?
You blew the hose off because sand filled up the thermostat housing and the water had no place to go.
Try removing the hose from the thermostat that goes to the manifolds and blow thru it. Air should move easily unless its filled with sand. do the same for both manifolds.