Motorcycle Battery?

Gator1996

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I am running short on space in the engine compartment area but want to add a house battery for some electronics I'll be adding. I'm talking a 12 V DC charger (cig lighter style), stereo, amplifier, subwoofer, LED lights and a GPS/fish finder. It is my intention to set this up as a standard two battery system.

Is it possible to use a smaller 12 volt battery like a motorcycle battery for this? My car actually does but the second battery is not a true motorcycle battery. I am not worried about wiring etc. really just thinking can the smaller battery accommodate voltage from the alternator when charging? It seems as if it would work but not sure. Any thoughts or things I may be missing. I imagine first response is WHY? but the limited space just has me thinking.

I guess the biggest con is that in a pinch, I doubt the smaller battery would have a chance at starting the motor.

Ideas, thoughts?

ThrottleBack

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Motorcycle Battery?

stereo, amplifier, subwoofer, LED lights

if you must (lol) you are going to want a battery that is actually capable of powering these things and I would very strongly suggest a capacitor for the audio system to give the battery some help.

My suggestion would be one of the Optima red tops. Pricey but they can be mounted in any position so you can get clever with location.

Last edited:

UncleWillie

Captain
Re: Motorcycle Battery?

Without giving the obvious opinions of asking "Why?"...
The answer to the direct question is Yes!
You can charge the motorcycle battery from the Boat's Alternator without issue.

The alternator will supply ~14 volts just as any Motorcycle/Car/Truck/Boat Electrical system does.
The battery will only allow as much current(amps) to flow as it can accept.
A 100 Amp Alternator or a 15 Amp Battery charger will NOT charge at 100 or 15 amps except under very special and short lived circumstances.
The battery is in charge of the charge!