97 Johnson 115hp system monitor

ekospb

Recruit
Hello, I am having an issue with my system monitor on a 97 Stratos fish and ski. Most of the time when I am at full power, my system monitor starts beeping (1 beep in approx. 2 seconds) and all four red warning lights on it flash simultaneously. I had a suspicion that one (or both) of my thermostats were out, so I replaced them to no avail. If someone has info on warning messages for this thing and is willing to share it, I would really appreciate that.

Happy boating!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 97 Johnson 115hp system monitor

Is the tach loosing power for a moment and resetting?

ekospb

Recruit

No, the tach seems to be fine. Warnings do go away if I drop the throttle back, but back again at full throttle.

Last edited:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Maybe over voltage? My Johnny says it puts out 14V, but the System Check gauge has no issues with it. Remember, your motor doesn't even have a sensor for "Check Engine", so it is likely the tach or wiring.

ekospb

Recruit

Overvoltage sounds interesting. I do have a digital voltmeter installed, but most of the time I have it off. The tach is a little more confusing - could you clarify how that could be an issue? (system check and tachometer are two different gauges).

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

the 1997 warning system, will sound for 4 different problems( only three for V4 motors!) low oil pressure to the fuel pump. Low oil in the tank, overheat condition, and for V6 engines fuel restriction. a light will light up for each specific issue. for all the lights to light up after you have reached at least 1000 rpm, then that would indicate you have all four problems( not possible with your V4). Id say you probably have a bad guage( tach). the 1997 guage only sounds at 10 second intervals...previous year gauges would have a pattern for the warning hon to specify what the issue was... for 1997 they have a 10 second sound for all plus the corresponding light would light up on the gauge...to signify what the problem was!!! so with mix and match components certainly possible after all these years, we might not the configuration of your set up. good luck...id check the guage for sure.... the system has a diagnostic mode, but it isn't something easily explained here...bob

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Back in1997 OMC had probs with those gauges. All you may have is a bad gauge.

ekospb

Recruit

There's also one more problem that may or may not relate to the above one. Whenever the motor is started with choke on, tach and trim gauges do not work. After restart with no choke, everything is back to normal. The ignition switch (key) was replaced by the previous owner, and they never put in the emergency engine cutoff on there. I am assuming the two wires are just connected directly bypassing the non-existent switch. I need to do some digging in that area.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Tach and Trim gauges do not work when choke is in use, and then work when you release choke, after starting? Maybe a bad ground? What about fuel gauge?

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

I don't think there is a choke on that motor....of course I THINK they made two different 115's that year....so I only know about the 60 degree looper motors. they had a primer solenoid.....which squirted gas directly into the manifold bypassing the carbs, and did NOT "CHOKE: the carb, like a traditional "choke" does....by closing off the air...I am not sure how the crossflow 115 HP carbs work...seems like the controls would or COULD be the same! I have had wiring issues over the years, and with all the controls available..and all the time that has passed, it is easy to believe these rigs get JURY RIGGED at times......horns cut off, wiring stunted, and bypassed..ect ect bob

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Bob, You are correct, those motors have an enrichener. However, ign keys are commonly labeled "push to choke", not "Push to Enrichen". I did not want to confuse the OP.

For our purposes, it does not matter as both traditional choke and enrichener use an electric solenoid. That is the item I am interested in.

ekospb

Recruit

Chris, no to your question. I have to restart the motor with no choke (or at least what I thought was the choke). Just releasing the choke does nothing. Fuel gauge never worked, the pickup and the gauge alone seemed to test fine, but the system never worked. I ended up taking the fuel gauge out of the cluster and installed a voltmeter instead.
Bob, mine is, I believe the 60 deg. looper. You may be right about no choke. I just assumed that was it. In either case, it helps start the motor cold :)

This boat is full of surprises, yet I still love it )

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Well, the only thing I can think of offhand is a bad ground somewhere. If the ground wire is dirty/corroded, and you energize the enrichener solenoid, it may use up all the ground potential in the circuit, thus making the other gauges open circuits. However, I have no idea why it doesn'f fix itself, when you release the choke button.