Tilt/trim and transom saver application

RobHiner

Cadet
I replaced a hydraulic line on my Tilt/Trim. A Mercury M1150 1978. I purchased a transom saver and when I install it motor to trailer and run the Tilt down on it I can still go back and lift the motor and drop the transom saver off. It came off on a bump for me and ruined the first one I bought when it bit the pavement. Why doesn't the tilt mechanics drive the motor down tight on the saver? Do I have an issue with the way my hydraulics are working? How do I correct? Also, what is the anti reverse adjustment and how does it operate? A large sign on the hydraulic pump housing and a large knurled knob that can be screwed in and out. I am assuming something like when the knob is in one position the motor is held firmly down when you reverse the engine. This got me thinking about my problem with the motor being able to be lifted even when trying to drive it down tight on the transom saver. Any possible connection here?

Thanks in advance for your knowledge!

Rob

belairbrian

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Tilt/trim and transom saver application

Sounds like your describing the bypass valve. It's there in case the tilt/trim fails and needs to be lifted. IIRC the norm is 3 turns ccw allows the fluid to bypass and lets you lift the motor.

That must of been a heck of a bump. it would take 3-4 inches of travel to pop a transom saver off.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

Did you bleed the system after replacing the line?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

The old merc trim system is like that. you tilt it up with the pump, and then you lift it up a bit more by hand and rotate the tilt lock. It will still bounce up and down. It is not designed to be locked by by the hydralics. These are the engines that transom saver works well, preventing bouncing. Newer motors that allow you to lock the engine with hydralics, should not be using a transom saver. Here the engine is locked in postion with regards to the transom. If the boat were to shift even an 1/8 inch on the trailer all that movement is now applied to the engine and the transom.
The big knurled Knob on the trim pump will allow you to tilt the engine up by hand. However it will not allow the engine to return to running position. To do that you will need to bleed the hydralic lines.

Last edited:

redneckpunk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ive got the same motor ('78 1150) and my trim will lock down tight into the transom saver. I did have the same issue you are experiencing last summer and found one of the hydrolic lines was leaking. Replaced the line and will lock down tight now

~RNP

DAN M VAGOS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Are you using transom tie downs if not that will make the transom saver come out.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Gee, that is easy. Trim the motor down all the way. Turn the reverse lock all the way CCW. Now pull up on the gearcase. If it moves an inch, bleed the system. If not run the motor up to where you want it for trailering and leve it there. If it leaks down, you have a problem in the PTT system (Teflon piston seals likely). If not, you don't need a transom saver. The hydraulics are plenty strong.