hangtime

hangtime

Recruit
I have a 1975 85 HP Johnson it runs fine for 10-15 minutes then will loose power, and sounds like it is laboring I idle it down to trolling speed it runs fine at trolling speed but wont go at top speed unless it sits for 5-10 minutes could this be the water pump

fireman57

Captain
Re: hangtime

Welcome to iboats. Could be. Sounds like you have an overheat issue. Start with checking your impeller. You might have a blockage somewhere in the cooling passages in the heads or exhaust side of the engine. Do you have a telltale on this engine? Do you see water sputtering out of the exhaust holes on the back of the engine about halfway down the midsection?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: hangtime

Welcome to the forum.
You should have a overheat horn that will sound off if the engine overheats.
Sounds more like a fuel or ignition problem. I would start by checking to see if you are loosing spark when the problem happens, use an inductive timing light to check and make sure you have spark on each wire when the problem happens. Sometimes an electrical componet will overheat and cause problems, and when it cools off it runs properly again. You might also try pumping the primer bulb at the time it happens to see if you have a weak fuel pump.