Power trim parts replacement advise

redneckpunk

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ive got a '78 1150 with the old school power trim having cylinders on both sides of the motor. Just before pulling the boat out of the water over the 4th of July week I noticed the trim wasnt working while the motor was under power. However when sitting it work, but with a bit of a delay. When I pulled the boat onto the trailer that afternoon I found the cylinder on the port side had snapped off. The pin that the cylinder bushing slides over and goes into the swivle plate on the opposite side had broken. Judging from the corrosion under the bushing and where the break occurred I am assuming this is the original part, 35+ years old.

So Ive ordered all the parts to replace both sides but having difficulty taking the old ones out. Ive removed the retaining bolt that fits through the swivle plate, but I am unable to get the pin out. I have soaked with liquid wrench, tapped with a sledge and tried heating it, to no avail. There is not enough access on the back side to tap it through and because of the break I'm limited to the amount of surface to get pliers on it. Any suggestions? I've been told my a Merc mechanic before I started pulling it apart that the pin just slides in and the new pin doesnt look like they are pressed in.

couple pics

Thanks in advance for any advise
~RNP

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: Power trim parts replacement advise

I've been told my a Merc mechanic before I started pulling it apart that the pin just slides in
Thats correct.....

redneckpunk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

GOT IT!! WOOHOOO!!! Amazing what a new and better pair of vise grips and a bit more heat can do. LOL!

Ive got another question about the assembly with the new parts. Should I put some grease on the new pin before installing? How about on the bushings? Ive got the manual but for some reason they leave out the part about removing and installing these.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The original lasted 35 years w/o grease. Now you want to grease it? Grease to ease reassembly is fine. The bushings are rubber. Grease or not as you like.