1997 70 hp evinrude not running

joelybob

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi
I bought 1997 70hp evinrude (E70TLEUM) last year off a guy. I heard it run. then put it away for the winter. and did not winterize it. guy said he only used non ethyonol gas and I believe him. started it about 2 weeks ago for the first time this year. ran alright. started it again a few minutes ago and it is running rough. I have to choke it to start it. not everytime but almost. when I pump up the ball it only fills filter up about half way no matter how hard I sqeeze that's it. cant remember if it did that with old filter . then it goes back down hose towards tank. I have tank as high as the motor and it still drains back. only thing different is I put in new in line fuel filter. could that be it. thanks

joelybob

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1997 70 hp evinrude not running

Forgot to mention vro is disabled and premix is used.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Remove the air box cover and remove the float bowl drain plugs. Then pump the primer bulb and see if you get any fuel out of the bowls. If not, you have some stuck needle and seats in the carbs.

joelybob

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok I will try right now. get back to you in a little bit. thanks boobie

joelybob

Petty Officer 1st Class

removed one drain plug at a time, waited till gas ran out on its own. then pumped it up. they all pumped gas out of them :confused: what do you think I should try now ?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

You may want to run a small wire through the high jets which are in back of the plugs in the float bowls. Those jets control the amount of fuel the mtr gets. How's your spark ??

joelybob

Petty Officer 1st Class

When I squeezed ball gas didn't come out real fast. but some came out. I will try wire. Had trouble getting spark a couple of weeks ago. connection were oxidized, I cleaned them up and put in new plugs. I will check spark again. THANKS. I took of gas supply to motor and held in ball bearing in and pumped up ball and gas came out of hose so I know that is working.

joelybob

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got good spark. I used a piece of mechanics wire to go into jet, but only went in about half inch where head of bolt sets. didn't want to force anything. don't know how far it will go in. :eek: any other suggestions ? Don't know if this has any bearing on it but earlier today control box/shifter would not move I since have got it to move don't know if that would do anything. just thought I would bring it up.thanks

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Find something about the size of packing string wire. Mechanics wire is to big.

joelybob

Petty Officer 1st Class

got it running. took those plugs out a couple more times to see if I could straighten it out. 3/4 full fuel filter now. still runs rough and doesn't idle good sometimes. I was running motor and rpms started to climb real fast. I shut off key and it still ran off had to pull safety switch. don't know what that was about :eek: do you think I can run it on water to straighten it out after I run small wire threw jet.

joelybob

Petty Officer 1st Class

Found a wire the size I needed (a little smaller than I need) ran it in and out a few times then pumped ball to flush it out, Before I put cap back on. It idle real good @ 1600 rpms, I let it run there for about 2 min. Then down to 1200 rpms for another couple of min. Then put lever all the way down. It idle for a min then died. I was surprised when I hit the key it fired right back up. But then It died again :blue:
. Do you think running will help it. It has got better already or should I rebuild carbs. After this I was planning on rebuilding the carbs on the off season anyways. your thoughts p.s fuel filter is full now :D

Last edited:

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Put some sea-foam in your fuel tank and take it out and run the heck out of it.

joelybob

Petty Officer 1st Class

Will do. still have to choke almost every time. Even when it is warm. I got sometime this week to take boat for a ride. I will keep you posted. Thanks a lot for your help today. You can put what I know about outboards in a bottle cap.

joelybob

Petty Officer 1st Class

Took boat out this afternoon. new gas and 16 oz of sea foam in 4 gallons of gas. It took about 15 tries to get motor to run right. a little throttle then it would die. almost ready to give up and like I flicked a switch it started to run like it should. 31.3 mph @ 5300 rpms trim all the way down. then I trimmed up a little and got 33.6 mph @ 5500 rpms. I am happy with that. just going to be a fishing boat. at Idle it was about 1200 rpms isn't that a little high ? Thanks for the help boobie without your help I would of been at a lost of what to do