Turbo TXP on a sport's cuddy

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
So it's time to prop this 217 intruder i need to tinker with this a bit..half the fun. I once had a differnt thought's on large diameter on prop... actually asked a member to show me a large diameter prop with high rake... and today i am looking at large diameter and high rake it out to be a high lifter..Turbo TXP OT-4. Turbo calls for light bass boats and running high however the Donzi guys are very high on this prop type. So before i plunge id thought id ask around..:D

22'
3500 lbs
21 degree hull
7'6" beam
454 4600 rpm
1.47 drive

Last edited:

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Re: Turbo TXP on a sport's cuddy

So finally got this boat one the water and what a nice old boat...
1. 22' 3850 dry 21 degree's v hul 7.5' beam 454 mag (330hp) ..huge tourqe...1.47 SEI drive

19p ss mirage plus does 50 at 5000...15% slip
21p black max Alum...does 51 @ 5000 23% slip

Due to the high slip and the heavy torque this engine has this should be interesting..the 3 blade route has been left behind...Im going to start with 24p four blades and work down down to 4600 then I will find a good bowlifter and see what happens.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

So I placed a order for a turbo txp ot 4..High rake large blade area read bow lift and less stress on the drive. But taking a closer look ive found the barrel may not fit flush to the drive.....Even though the boat has thru hull exhaust does anyone have input on this...aka would a exhaust ring help with water steam between the two????

Bondo

Staff member

So I placed a order for a turbo txp ot 4..High rake large blade area read bow lift and less stress on the drive. But taking a closer look ive found the barrel may not fit flush to the drive.....Even though the boat has thru hull exhaust does anyone have input on this...aka would a exhaust ring help with water steam between the two????

Ayuh,... Got any Pictures,..?? Do ya have the Right thrust hub for that prop,..??

Is the prop For the Alpha drive,..??

I ask 'cause an outboard prop with the smaller barrel goes Right onto the Merc. drives, 'n torques up nicely,...
But, it'll blow out like crazy, regardless thru-hulls or not,...

If it's the Large gear case prop, it oughta match up,...

Interestin' barge,... Got a picture of the hull too,..??

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

img_4035899_20120810164714_5_LARGE.jpg

That's the old girl and it is a serious hull...:laugh: at least for now. 50 mph and cuts a 2' swell likes its 6".
Turbo TXP OT4 | Precision Propellers Industries

My concern is in the below pic...this old tubs slips a mirage plus pretty heavy so getting a good hookup is going to be paramont

info-exhaust3.gif

That's the prop and its says 14.38 diameter but DH has pointed out it's over the barrel exhaust prop so I called turbo and there not the company they once were they could not give me the spec's I asked for..but he alluded the dia might be a tad small. So I am getting a bitty ansy here. If ive done my math and research right it should bounce from 51 to 62...and my wisho meter is running a bit hot right now...the tourqe of that engine is truly and unknown quanity.

Soon ill be up in the I/O's asking you about 34 degree's of advance...shes a bit slow on rev up my little 4.3 makes spin's up twice as fast. Don't pay to much attention to the marketing hype that prop has big ears big rake and average diameter 4 blades and a lot of bow lift......low slip will win he day...
So i have over reacted a bit here...The boat has thru the hull exhaust...small over sight...:crazy:

Last edited:

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

So a puzzle here or so it seems

21p black max Alum...does 51 @ 5000 23% slip
23p 4 blade ss txp.....4000 @ 55 mph...8% slip.Now that's some crazy stuff right there....:laugh:

On a serious note this a old 454 low hp high tourqe about 330 and 425 foot lbs of tourqe at 4500 rpm..It just smothered the 21 black max and I know alum deforms but those readings are crazy

A side note...That's a old heavy boat 21 degree's of hull and it would bounce easily at 50...or dam close to that...neither of the other props reacted even close to that.

Last edited:

500dollar744ti

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I would try a Solas HR-titan 3-blade. I have a heavier boat and I've got the 14.75X19p HR-titan 3 on it. I get 51.3mph WOT @ 4400rpm. It's a heavy 23' Cobia with a deep vee and I've only got a 350/alpha1. With a 454, you could turn one of the 21p versions well over 50mph.

I've tried a lot of props and that is the one that put me 3 mph faster than any other prop I tried.

That's a very nice looking boat you have there.

Last edited:

hwsiii

Commander

Gunner, I am having some problems understanding the actual statistics on the boat and prop, and you know me and my programs need exact information to ever analyze anything. LOL

In your original posting you say it has 25 degrees of deadrise and in a later posting you mention that it is 21 degrees of deadrise, and also in your original posting you mention getting a Turbo TXP but later on you talk about a turbo txp ot 4 at 23" pitch. So I assume that you actually meant the OT 4.

You mention that you are able to get 55 MPH at 4,000 RPM out of the new Turbo prop with 8% slip and the 21" pitch Black Max gets 51 MPH at 5,000 RPM with a 23% slip and finally the 19" pitch Mirage Plus gets 50 MPH at 5,000 RPM with 15% slip. And in my opinion the Turbo TXP OT is the wrong prop anyway. I ran some numbers for prop slip and came up with a little bit different slip than you did. I also looked up the Turbo prop at their site and here is the information that they give, I intend on calling them later today and see If I might get lucky and get a different person than you did and get a more accurate analysis on all of the prop geometry in this prop. And what is the RPM range for that motor, I couldn't find that

But here is what their sight says about this prop.

Faster hole shots and quicker acceleration, through the use of an over-and through-hub exhaust design which helps the engine develop RPM rapidly. Very aggressive pitch, high rake angle, large diameter and more advanced trailing edge blade cupping makes these props excellent for ?surface piercing? applications. Excellent high-horsepower, high-speed propeller for very light, high-speed boats, particularly those using high engine mounting heights or a hydraulic jack plate and having naturally greater bow lift ?built-in?.

By their nomenclature I am thinking that the (aggressive pitch) possibly means progressive pitch,( but it could just mean high pitch) and it has a high rake angle and the trailing edge cup adds a lot of stern lift.

1. Progressive Pitch helps Accelerates Better because it has multiple pitches which helps the acceleration and yet produces a Good Top End
2. Progressive Rake has the most Bow lift available with good speed, great holding power at high speeds and Rough Water and less cavitation and ventilation
3. Trailing Edge Cup will add Stern Lift, acceleration and theoretical pitch and reduces ventilation as well as increases speed but does lower the RPM

But I see that they don't make this prop in anything smaller than a 23" pitch, is that going to be a problem, I mean will they take it back and give you your money back or at least let you trade it for something else from them. That would mean that we need to figure out which other prop they have that might be suitable for your boat, and that would restrict your options some.

I also was wondering if the sterndrive is mounted higher than normal, like some of the other faster boats.

It did bother me that you said you were getting a porpoising effect at about 50 MPH with the new Turbo prop and that is not a good sign, as you well know. Neither of the other props have that same geometry, lifting both the bow and the stern, and that is where I see this is one of the main problems with this prop for your boat. I believe that high rake angle is what is causing your trouble with that porpoising.

The Black Max, if it's model number 48-78112-21 has a Regressive pitch as well as 16 degrees of rake in the 21" prop and if its model number 48-16312-21 it has Progressive pitch and 20 degrees of rake.

I do not have the stats on the Mirage Plus, and the standard Mirage is a heavy load pushing prop according to Kenny, but the standard Mirage has 16 degrees of Parabolic rake.

H

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Opps me bad im all over the place here, i intended to use this boat as a example of "i need a new prop"...and a boat that has been neglected and out of tune. After timing..carb clean up....new fuel filters and a new drive i thought i was ready to prop...

The spec's:
22'
3500 lbs
21 degree hull
7'6" beam
454...300hp @ the prop...400+lbs ft or tourqe @ 4500rpm
1.47 drive..SEi drive

19p mirage 3blade large diameter SS 5000rpm @ 50mph 15% slip...Used as a starting point or base.

21p merc blk max 3 blade alum 5000 rpm @ 51mph @ 23% slip...high slip but that motor just pushed right thourgh it and the 454's fall off the chart above 4500 rpm...producing power that is. Read the engine overpowered the prop

Both props acted very similar in the boat's handling.. the attitude and wake no difference. Ive always been a fan of 4 blades top end is a short thrill.

Now comes the turbo txp ot-4..up 2 from the 21 alum yes but take into account the 454 peaks at 4500 and the 21 was butter at 5000. So the selection was a WAG..

Turbo 23 4 blade SS... 23 @ 4000 nets 55 mph @8% slip..1.47 ratio

So let's walk it down or up actually

22 would net 4200
21 nets 4400
20 nets 4600
19 nets 4800

19 @ 1.47 @ 4800 nets 54 @ 8% slip....not actual prop calc numbers but it should be the right pitch

23 @ 1.47 @ 4000 nets 55 @ 8% slip....Actual numbers
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now the mirage SS is no slouch of a prop and the large diameter should net the same slip as the turbo or very close. The turbo prop is a medium dia high rake 30 degree's i believe ... large blade area and it nearly cuts the slip in half of the large diameter????? Above and beyond that i am getting huge lift from the rake lower slip..the boat acutally bounces like a light boat.....Either way am i hitting 54-55 mph and hitting the wall...with either slip or rpm...i cannot believe a 19 or 20 in a small diameter is the answer.

One last tid bit the 4 blade is OT design and the barrell does not match the drive flush....the boat does have thru the hull exhaust and i am getting lower slip so the mismatch and design along with slip numbers show no conflict with each other. The desired effect of less wetted surface came into play hence the bouncing around in a chop but damm what a rpm drop...did i lose that much energy in lifting it up????

. Progressive Pitch helps Accelerates Better because it has multiple pitches which helps the acceleration and yet produces a Good Top End
2. Progressive Rake has the most Bow lift available with good speed, great holding power at high speeds and Rough Water and less cavitation and ventilation
3. Trailing Edge Cup will add Stern Lift, acceleration and theoretical pitch and reduces ventilation as well as increases speed but does lower the RPM

Absolutey what i was looking for lift and thrust on a deep v with low slip...... This prop must have serious cupping to throw down the rpm band that much...I can drop down to txp 3 blade ive been told the 3 and four are the same design just another blade.

Last edited:

hwsiii

Commander

Gunner, that prop was designed just like DH said "DH has pointed out it's over the barrel exhaust prop". And with that being said, if your exhaust was not a thru hull exhaust that prop would react very differently than it is now. With some exhaust passing around the outside of the prop you would pick up many more RPM's as well as there wouldn't be quite as much lift picking the boat up and creating the porpoise effect.

I think you actually picked a good prop for your boat, except you forgot that you have a thru hull exhaust, and it is not getting the air that it was designed to be used with, consequently it exacerbates all of the good qualities designed into the prop, thus giving too much lift and too much pitch as well as not enough RPM's. If you installed a bypass system to the the thru hull and directly to the outdrive, in my opinion, you would be happy. But that wold probably be too expensive or you would have to buy a new exhaust and both of those options seem to be way too expensive.

I do not believe that you can attain over 60 miles per hour out of that particular boat and motor combination, but I do believe that you can get about 58 MPH at the right RPM's and a reasonable slip for that combo.

Gunner.jpg

H

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Intresting and makes good sense, i was caught up in the high rake and blade area being a huge asset and was actually concerned that the barrell mismatch would induce slip which it did not.....It makes perfect sense however and would explain the huge drop in rpm and 8% slip..so i believe a 3 blade fxp will be my next shot at this

http://www.turbo-props.com/products/turbo-fxp-series_fxp

Or this guy

http://www.turbo-props.com/products/turbo-lightning-series_tls

Diameter - 14 3/4” there's the larger barrel no more gap
Blades - 3
Pitches - 22”~27”

Since there is really no accurate base yet..a 22 or 23 pitch...which way does the wind blow..hmmm.

Ohh by the way anyone looking for slighty used 23 4blade....driven once by a little old man..:D

By the way thankyou for the effort...the need for venting never occured to me..the more i think about the more sense it make's..you should see the thickness of the blades there massive.

Last edited:

hwsiii

Commander

Gunner, take a stick outside and tell me how high the anti cavitation plate is above the bottom of the boat. And also did you ever have a chance to look at the anti cavitation plate when you were running at high speeds to see if the plate was running close to the top of the water.

H

Last edited:

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

I will do that,intrestingly enough i just put a new sei drive on the thing. The boat was sitting to low on the trailer to put the new drive on so we had a marina put the drive on. Ive never looked at the cav plate with any close intrest but i have watched the wake and the entire width is wetted...i wasnt close to chine walk.

Now there's some lift going there...Thats a 3' print and a 8' beam... 19' boat 2850lbs 20p 4 blade Stilletto. I was hoping the txp you get enough lift that I could duplicate that effect. The Stilletto seems to tame down on boat's over 4000 lbs.
boat272.jpg

Last edited:

hwsiii

Commander

Gunner, here is my recommendation for the best prop from turbo that I can asess, for whatever you think it is worth, and also why I think the two props that you think might be right, are not as good a choice.

FXP Series

First, it is a three blade prop.

Second, the factory states " It provides very minimal bow rise, critical during often crowded tournament blast-offs. Steering torque and operator fatigue, normally associated with high engine mounting heights, is greatly reduced. "

You weren't getting enough bow rise as it was with the other prop, or otherwise it would not have porpoised, and that had four blades, not three.

Lightning Series

First, it is a three blade prop.

Second, the factory states: " Excellent speed, handling, and bow lift characteristics. Ideal for boats featuring higher engine and drive mounting heights, such as bass and flats boats; particularly those featuring older, heavier designs. "

This prop is designed for bass boats as well as flats boats, which normally have pads for the bass boats or smaller deadrise for the flats boats. and is designed for outboards with very high drive mounting heights.

My recommendation is:

Offshore 1 Series

First, it is a four blade prop

Second, the factory states: Exclusively designed for outboard powered offshore boats. Superlative load carrying ability and transom and bow lift for large, heavy offshore boats using outboard power.

In my opinion you need a four blade prop for this heavier boat in order for the bow and stern to be carried high for less wetted surface area and drag.

I thought that I would also mention that the picture above is showing a CRATER, that is why I am positive you need a four blade prop.

H

Last edited:

mike165

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Tail Gunner
What is the 23p 4b dia splines s.s or alm etc. PM me more info, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Greeting's again i see Walleyehed has made a apperance..care to comment here WH. Am i chasing my tail here with the txp.. THe carb has been replaced and the bottom did have some growth...:embarassed: But why the big slip difference it has me puzzeled..Its just a bit to cold to take a run with a clean bottom and new carb and seeing the result's.

Last edited:

jestor68

Commander

I'm curious as to why you didn't try the 21 pitch Mirage Plus.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

I'm curious as to why you didn't try the 21 pitch Mirage Plus.

Good question it pushed right thru the 19 like it was butter with 15% slip....the old 454 is a weak engine on the top end of the rpm band..it usually run's out of steam at 4500...Used a few prop calc's at 10% and gave it wag...The prop has 30 degress of rake and is a fairly large daimeter and a ton of rake.

The 217 inturder's run about 65 mph and 21 is to small..look how it buttered the 21 alum

Last edited:

jestor68

Commander

Good question it pushed right thru the 19 like it was butter with 15% slip....the old 454 is a weak engine on the top end of the rpm band..it usually run's out of steam at 4500...Used a few prop calc's at 10% and gave it wag...The prop has 30 degress of rake and is a fairly large daimeter and a ton of rake.

The 217 inturder's run about 65 mph and 21 is to small..look how it buttered the 21 alum

Have you forgotten that reducing an inch of diameter is like reducing 2-3 inches of pitch?

That's why there was no significant difference between the performance of the two props. Factor in the increased blade flex of the aluminum prop, and it's as if you changed nothing.

Your 1.47 gear ratio favors reduced diameter/more pitch.

Expecting 65 mph is a bit optimistic. Mid 50's is all you're going to see with the motor/drive combo.

Last edited:

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

I understand what you are saying its the very point of the thread does a large diameter push more effectively than a heavy cupped high rake prop. the results seem backward 15% slip with a large dia and 8% with a high rake granted one more blade and decidely more bow lift.

Just play with what has happened

21p same prop @ 4600 same slip 53.....just calculation's

23 @ 1.47 @ 4000 nets 55 @ 8% slip....Actual numbers...txp ot4
20 @ 1.47 @ 4600 same slip nets 54 just calculation's

Mirage plus 15.25 dia
TXP OT- 4 14 3/8 dia

I believe i am going to take the Mirage in to see if it has been played with that would answer some question's..it's puzzeling that a stock 454 could push to 5000.... there dead out of air at 4600. The 23 found the engine's tourqe peak note the 23 @ 4000 @55...Perhaps the tach is off at top rpm...

My reason for posting backup i saw Ken in here he is quite fimilar with precsion prop's. Yrs ago i had a baypro 2 that actually ran a 4% slip. He alluded to the cupping actually made it a effective 21 that would give it a 8% slip. Now if the txp has the same cupping and give it a 24p that would make sense...11% slip...where i believe it will end....maybe...:cool:

New Carb...intake...cleaned up hull.

Last edited: