steering problem

iggyw1

Master Chief Petty Officer
I have an older boat, 1965 Gadabout 15 ft fiberglass with 40 hp Evinrude. I have my steering wheel and controls at the dash board by the driver. I don't know what kind of steering set up you would call it, but it is not rack and pinion steering, it has no gears. It has pulleys and cables and that is it. Behind the steering wheel, there is what I would call a double cable "spool" on which the steering cable wraps one way for the port side and the other way for the starboard side of the boat to be able to steer it. Somehow, the cable came off of this spool, an the steering wheel is just free wheeling now. Where can I find out how to get the cables back onto this spool the right direction and how do I do it? I am sure the cables did not break, and no pulleys fell apart, the cable just slipped off of the double spool and I do not know how to repair it. Does anyone here know if I can get some instructions or a manual on how to make the repair?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

81_chapparel194

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: steering problem

replace it with a Teleflex cable system.. the kit comes with new helm and cables
as your old system is probably worn out and stretched.