New to boating, Need advice on 1st purchase

SergC

Cadet
Hi, I'm looking at a 1973 Mark twain Tri Hull for my 1st boat. I would like something that I can cruise the lake with my family and pull my kids in a tube.

It has a Merc 4cyl 120 HP with 350hrs on the rebuilt. Engine, trailer, interior, exterior...all very clean

I had a chance to test drive it on the water a few days ago, ran great. Maybe a tune up and thats it. Here are some pics. I or anyone in my family has never owned a boat. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

They're asking $2300

01515_eMLoqUS7E7G_600x450[1].jpg00P0P_iJFzH5RxN8p_600x450[1].jpg00C0C_2YWNoCOpvgx_600x450[1].jpg

Last edited:

Alwhite00

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: New to boating, Need advise on 1st boat purchase

Is it a 470 Merc engine?

LK

SergC

Cadet

It has a 4cyl thats either a 2.5 or a 3.0 liter

SergC

Cadet

I think the merc 470 was a 3.7.....I could be wrong though

matt167

Captain
Re: New to boating, Need advice on 1st purchase

470 did not come out until the late 70's. That 120 is a 2.5L 4cyl and it will run for years. Chevy designed it off of the 1965- newer 6cyls specifically for the Nova, and Mercruiser picked it up around the same time. 3.0L's are still in production ( same basic design ).

I'm generally not a fan of Tri-hulls but if that boat is solid, it's well worth the money and will do well. The seats look original and in good condition. If they looked fresh and new, I would be cautious of a deck-over

Last edited:

pckeen

Commander

Hi Serg,

I assume that you have looked at some of the other advice threads for new boat buyers (to check for soft spots on the floor, check for any flex in the transom, do a careful close up inspection all over the hull, check the trailer thoroughly etc.). If you haven't take a look at some of those threads, and look at some of the threads in the restoration section - it will give you a much better idea of the types of problems to look for.

Look for signs that the boat has been misused, and ask pointed questions: has the boat ever been sunk, does the owner know of any problems with it, has the boat ever been in an accident or damaged in any way that the owner knows of).

Looking at it - it seems to be pretty clean, but be prepared, with a boat of that age, to need to do repairs. It may be worth having a marine mechanic look at it to give you an opinion ($100 spent on a mechanic may save you a lot of money down the road....or will give you peace of mind, knowing you are making a good purchase. If a repair does have to be done, and you still want the boat - having the quote from the mechanic will give you real negotiating power to lower the price.).

What matt means by 'deck over' is someone slapping down a layer of plywood and carpet on top of an already rotten deck - that's like putting a layer of new paint on a collapsing house.

My only question - why do you say it needs a tune up? Was there something wrong when you did the test run?

If that boat is in good mechanical and physical shape - $2300 sounds reasonable.

SergC

Cadet

Hi Peter

Yes, I've looked through some of the threads on a new purchase and found some great info.

On the tune up - When we were on our test run he said he had not tuned it up in the last 2 yrs. I figured it was a good idea to have a full on tune up done if I were to buy it fresh from the start. I agree with taking it to a marine mechanic prior to purchase.

Side note - The current owner has owned the boat just shy of 2 years. He bought it from the oringial owner.

southkogs

Staff member

Serg - I made a similar buy about 4 years ago. The price is a little bit high for my area (TN), but maybe not for California. That said, for the money it looks like a nice boat. Especially if it's as clean as it looks in pictures, perhaps the previous owners took good care of it. If it checked out mechanically and structurally, I'd be inclined to go with it.

I'm a fan of Tri-Hulls, though big water boating would be pretty bumpy. Inland, it'll be pretty smooth most of the time.

I've also been impressed with the Twains I've seen. They're nicely finished out, and seem pretty roomy. She's probably not all that quick with the power she's got, but if she's as heavy as mine it'll make her a nice cruisin' boat.

Welcome aboard.

NYBo

Admiral

Welcome to iboats!:welcome:

The boat does look clean and original, an important point as Matt and Peter explained. Interesting that it's on a tandem trailer, a nice plus. Does the trailer have brakes?

The price is a bit high for around here also, but price guides are kind of meaningless for boats that old. Maybe there is some wiggle-room on price.

SergC

Cadet

I just want to say Thanks to everybody for the advice.

On my way to pick up my 1st boat!

for 2K

Last edited:

NYBo

Admiral

Good luck! I'm sure you'll let us know how it works out.

ThrottleBack

Petty Officer 1st Class

Congrats man! Make sure to take and pay attention to a safety course. I took another one a few weeks back and despite a life spent on boats it was amazing how much i forgot.

southkogs

Staff member

No photos?!? Sorry man, didn't happen ... ;)

Gettin' down to $2k seems reasonable for that boat. Congrats on the buy!