Thinking of replacing a late 1950's 40 hp Scott Atwater with a new Evinrude if.....

Dee Jsaan

Seaman Apprentice
Hello, I have this old late 1950's Elgin (sold by Sears) and the original Scott Atwater 40 hp outboard from back in the day.

I live and operate on the Ohio River near the Sen. Robt Byrd Locks and Dam near Gallipolis, Ohio.

I've kept the Scott running and got parts from an old fellow in the past from Electra Marine in Lynbrook, Ny. But it's
a bit risky where I live as there is little help in the event of a break down. I rarely go out by myself these days because of this.

The question is this for those with Johnson & Evinrude experience.

Does either of these motors make anything today even similar to the old Scott Atwater. I'd like to find a 2 cylinder 40 hp
with shift F/N/R, and electric start. Preferable one simple carburater. As for the ignition it could be points and magneto
like the old Scott. I've learned to work on this type of motor over the years and pull the out drive apart from the power head and replace water pump impellers etc.

If I could find something like this I'd buy it just to have a larger margin of safety and a lower break down ratio. And not so worn over the years. I presently carry an old 1 hp gasoline trolling motor with me just for getting to the beach or river bank should I break down.

So what can anyone tell me about a basic J or E outboard ? Is anything like what I'm looking for available ?

This boat looks almost like mine.

MyBoat_exactly.jpg

MyBoat_exactly_rear.jpg

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Thinking of replacing a late 1950's 40 hp Scott Atwater with a new Evinrude if...

There should be a lot of what you are looking for on the market. The 40hp was made with two different lower units, make sure you get the one with a manual shift lower unit and not the electric shift. They have two cylinders, single carb and a magnito ignition. Newer models and electronic ignition.
The motor you are looking for was made for quite a few years.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Thinking of replacing a late 1950's 40 hp Scott Atwater with a new Evinrude if...

Check on E-Bay.

Dee Jsaan

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Daviet and Boobie. I've loved and taken care of the ol' Scott 40 hp for years and know about every nut & bolt in it by name now.

It's a jump for me to consider another outboard and that's why I'm wanting to find something similar to what I have now and from a
common manufacturer that is still in business and healthy. Johnson & Evinrude seem to be as common as Chevy around in my area.

So, from what I'm reading, it seems the type of motor I'm looking for is no longer being manufactured ? I'm stuck buying something like this used ? (and yes, I know anything brand new can still malfunction)

I like to work on my own equipment and have mastery of it so that I can take care of it and myself when I'm on the water.

The ol' Scott is over 50 years old now and I've rebuilt the outrive with new bearings, seals, water pump impellers etc. Still there is wear
in it that I can't find "new" parts to replace with. I've had a few parts in the Machine shop to be remachined and new parts made after the old. (for sealing surfaces) The seal behind the prop originally was a double lip "Chicago Rawhide" and I just had to replace it with the best substitute Bearing's Inc could provide.

But this year the Ohio River in my part of the valley has been in flood and very little boating going on. So it has given me pause to
consider a swap. I'll keep the Scott so that if and when I sell the boat it will be an antique for anyone who wants to get into that.

Then if I find a later small fiberglass Day Cruiser (like this Seven Seas "Performer" I may keep the Evinrude an move up to it) There seem to be a few of these 17 ft Cabin's laying around in my area that can be had reasonably.

IMGP15462-1024x601.jpg

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner

There are tons of the old 1960-1972 40hp Johnson & Evinrude motors around. But sounds like you want something a bit newer? Will you settle for five less horsepower and a lot less weight? J&E 35hp motors are excellent. Just make sure you don't get one of the early ones--they were lemons. My 1984 is the best motor in that horsepower range I've ever owned. And of course there are the newer 50-55hp twins too.

Dee Jsaan

Seaman Apprentice

Well, I'm really new to the J&E motors. The 35 hp wouldn't bother me for the Elgin boat (top photos) at all. But if I were to move up to a
day cruiser like the one above in blue & white I'm wondering if it would be critically underpowered. Is the 35 hp measured at the crank or
the prop ?

If I were to look at the 50hp twins the plaque on the dash of the Elgin states that it is rated for 40 hp. I have now a one inch thick transom board affixed to the transom to shore it up. It is marine grade ply wood piece that is well sealed and painted and makes the transom nearly 3" thick. I think the owner who had it before me was running a 50 or 60 hp on it because that's what he had. He didn't purchase it to use on the Elgin. He told me he operated it like a rational adult and resisting the "hole shot" take off's just because he had the more powerful motor. He explained he only powered up once under way to prevent shock loading the transom. I've never had the first problem with this boat since I've had it.

From what I read the newer 40's would be rated more like a 50. I'm more of a cruiser than a "hot throttle" type myself. Cruising in the Elgin still feels speedy. But if I move up to the 17 ft cruiser, from this 14 ft elgin then I'll probably be in the low speed zone.

Otherwise I'd be with the choice of placing 40 hp decals on a 50 or larger motors cowling.

But if these J&E outboards in the 35 hp realm would actually rate closer to 45 hp at the prop, I would certainly get on
finding and purchasing one of these.

Is 1984 about the best year or is there a skew of years like between 79 thru 89 ? Would this also apply to the 50 thru 60 hp's as well ?

Thanks for any info you have in advance.