New to boating, looking for advice.

cmconrad

Recruit
Not a fan of relying on other to take self, or family out on the lake. Starting the process of looking at shopping around for a boat.

I am looking to hopefully buy a boat in 1-2 years.

Live in Ohio on Lake Erie.

Looking at either a Bowrider or Deck boat. Not sure if the Deck boat will handle Erie.

Best Deck Boat/Bowrider for the money?

I weigh 225. Want something I can fish little from, entertain little from, tube in ski from mostly, and just cruise up to the Islands on occasion.

AT least 6 adults, and children. Looking for seating at least for 10.

Been looking at the Bayliner line the 215 Deck boat, or similar Bowrider.

Few I have talked with, don't care for Bayliner, Say "couldnt pay me to own one..." I think they look like nice boats.

Want something at least 21 feet, could go smaller yet have heard conflicting messages about smaller boats out on Erie. Also really dont want to go above 24 feet due to trailering and first time owning my own boat.

Been out on the lake much with an Uncle when younger who had a 19' Bowrider, and now has a 24' Tri-toon at Lake of Ozarks. Been out more often and recent with a good friend who has a 23' Fishmaster Cuddy Cabin.

Prefer the Open Bow over the cabin, for maneuverability, docking, entertaining, relaxing, fishing, over the cuddy in place.

Taking the Ohio Boaters course, yet would like to find out ways to get more familiar with additional boats than those have been on. Get the best bang for buck.

There are many options out there and is hard to keep up with all the Online reviews, comments and options. Just looking for more opinion.

Also comparing new and used. Uncle always bought new, easier financing, less issues and problems, self maintained records, ran for many+ years little cost above regular maintenance. Friend bought used, more affordable, ran well for 2 years, but nothing but a hole last 2 years, cannot keep it running, replacing everything short of the engine itself and cannot get a mechanic to figure it out.

Sorry for the long post. Attempting to cover much.

Bowrider/Deck Boat for Lake Erie.

Best Brands, or Boats that fit those categories for Lake Erie.

New/Used.

Any other information you would like to share.

I thank you and appreciate the comments, opinions and advice.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander
Re: New to boating, looking for advice.

Neither of those are made for what Lake Erie will toss at you. Either a cuddy or CC... self bailing is best. I prefer the cuddy as it keeps the water OUT better and still a self bailing hull. Bayliner would be at the top of my list what NOT to buy. I chartered on that lake for years. 21' is a decent size, 24 is better if going beyond 3 - 5 miles from your port on either a deck or bow rider. Which basin, sounds like central?

Last edited:

Red9654

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i would look at the tahoe Q7i. its similar to the bayliner 215 u mentioned. as john mentioned u may also want to look at a center console boat

Air Traffic

Seaman Apprentice

I would have to agree. If you are talking going to Put in Bay/Kelley's Island/Pelee Island, I think you would be better off with something beside a bow rider. Lake Erie is relatively shallow and it doesn't take a lot of wind or weather to kick it up in a hurry. Like Crabby Captain John mentioned you would prefer something self-bailing. I used to own a 21 ft bow rider that I used in Lake Huron and never felt comfortable enough to get more than 3 or 4 miles off shore. Gentle rollers at the dock like to grow in a hurry. You may lose a little open air space with a closed bow but you will gain a whole lot of security. my 2 cents worth.

cmconrad

Recruit

Will be putting out from Lorain/Vermillion area. Mostly Lorain.

Trips to Kelly's, South Bass/PIB, Middle Bass.

My Uncles 19 footer Bowrider appeared to do well, yet we stayed only 3-4 miles from shore, and if it kicked up, just headed to the closest port, and sent someone to get the trailer. If really needed it. But mostly was able to return before things got too bad.

Center Consoles/Walkabouts have looked at minimal.

The Tahoe Q7i is not a bad boat have viewed it b4, would upgrade to the 5.0 and it is just within price for new.

Yet will a Bow Cover on the Deck/Bowrider do similar as a cuddy by keeping water off if need be?

Thank you for advice.

Last edited:

Red9654

Petty Officer 2nd Class

a bow cover would keep the bow dry yes

Toddavid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A budget would help us narrow it down for you, too. How many people typically on board?

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

Lorain = central basin. I docked my boats at Geneva. A bow rider may be OK 3 mile from PORT no matter which direction,, except shore. Any water that comes in, and it will, invites more water. Since I hate being cold and wet there is no way I'd play with either of those and in order to extend the cold part of the season a cuddy is best. A deck boat is only slightly better than a pontoon on Erie. I spent more days and nights on Erie than anybody I know. She c an be a real b it ch!

cmconrad

Recruit

Thank you captain crabby john, appreciate the information.

New with right financing would venture into 30-40k.

Slightly used few years old. 15-25k.

Used with financing, 10-20k

I noticed the newer deck boats have a V-hull or similar, that is why I have included them, and like the bowrider thing with more room of them.

Kids are young. 4 and 1.5, researching as much as can to make a better decision in 1.5 yrs. Think the Bowrider could be more fun for kids growing up, as I had much fun on my grandfathers Ski/Fish and my uncles Bowrider. I thought the world sitting in the Bow while planing along above the water. Might be why I now have a motorcycle and looking for a boat... I enjoy the day cruising and the wind. Unfortunately kids don't fit on a Bike and think acquiring a boat can get the same freedom of the open road/water, wind, relaxation and bring the kids and family to enjoy. With my work schedule I have 4 full days a week minimum to be out. My wife as a nurse works 3 days a week. So with our work schedules feel we could enjoy the water more, family time more.

I like the more room for having a few extra out to entertain with or play.

I also like the openness for fishing and such.

Agree that cold and wet can both be a turn off early season and late. For fishing reasons. Yet utilizing proper attire, watching radar, lake conditions can help slightly.

Minimum on the boat for leisure, play, entertaining will be 4-6. Maximum would be 10-12.

Fishing times, 2-4.

Another friend is looking into buying the large Cabin Cruiser, with sleeper and big fuel.

I am not looking to have a 1k gas fill up. I want something that can enjoy all life has, at a reasonable cost.

I liked how the newer Bayliners were offering tote sized compartments, that stated load up the totes at home with days activities and grab only what need for the day at hand. Liked that concept due to organizing the different options for the day and ease of storage. Bayliners appear to to decent all around boats, and affordable. Yet I haven't hear much good about them from select conversations with those I know.

Any boats suggested will be researched. Looked into. Boat may travel to other lakes. Yet as pointed out. Main purpose is Lake Erie. I have found many local Bowriders available, yet most fall into 16-18 foot, few into 20 foot, and those above 20 are slim or priced high. Surprised to see soo many local options in the small range do to the lakes reputation.

Still thank you for replying and keeping discussion.

Toddavid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

10-12 people on a 20' or smaller boat, and you'll want to jump overboard. Too crowded, possibly not enough power to get on plane (smaller boats typically are found with smaller engines).

24' boat is nice with 6-8 people, a little crowded with more than that.

What is your tow vehicle? Getting up to the 24' range may put capacity beyond what you plan to tow with.

25k will get you a relatively recent year, low hour bowrider with a 350 (300hp). It's a good combo of space, trailer-ability, slowing depreciation, and power.

cmconrad

Recruit

The Sea Hunt Escape 211LE is a simple design and boat. Cannot find any in area for sale for a price comparison.

But it brings up another issue. With an I/O, or Stern drive, you have the full swim platfor, back deck, on most for sitting, swimming, or casting... on a Outboard you don't.

Is their a big issue with power between the two or fuel economy. Most I have seen, the I/O has more power and better fuel. Yet I see the Outboards becoming more available and pushed more.

Towing vehicle will most likely change once boat is acquired, or decided on direction of boat and needs. Current towing options include a F-150 XL extended Cab, V-6, F-150 Lariat, 5.0L V-8 w/ towing package.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

1st -- I like my young grandsons too much to count on boating Lake Erie with them on a deck boat. That "V" is minimal, not a deep V as Erie needs. Bow riders are more of a floating sofa and not fishing but are a bit flexible. In your position my 1st choice would be a small cuddy to keep water out. Not sure of any bow riders with self bailing hulls. Next would be a CC with a bimini for shade as you get next to zero shade from a T-top. Also, with children that age I'd want freeboard. My boat has a people capacity of 9... no way would I want more than 6. For 10 - 12 figure on 24' minimum but I'd go no smaller than 28'. In your price range there are some decent builders of new. Sea Hunt comes to mind as I know a few that own them and are happy. I'd be looking at newer but used - EdgeWater, Cobia, McKee Craft... about all the "unsinkables" except Whaler. OB would be Yamaha and if an I/O it would be merc.
Your friend can find a great deal as the big cruisers are going relatively cheap. Generally speaking, the younger buyers do not want them and older buyers are tired of the high maintenance costs,,,,, not to mention fuel. Fuel costs of all boats depend on how they are used. I have a friend with a 42'er. His fuel costs are lower than mine as he rarely moves it from the dock-- a fancy party barge is all. I have a 150 Yamaha 4 stroke with a fuel bill between $500 and $600 monthly. The boat is used never less than once a week often 3 - 4 times.
Bayliner would not be on any list of mine except what NOT to even look at. There is a thread here or on NC Angler a guy started about finding the rotted transom on his 2012 Bayliner when he drilled holes this spring for a transducer. Lets not even talk about older -- but some have them and love them either because they really have a good one or will want to sell it one day.
Wondering why so many small boats around Lake Erie? Simple-- they are least expensive new. Used-- simple because people realize that is no place for a small boat. Before I knew better I took a 16er out of Presque Isle to the 2nd trench. 1st time it got snotty out I bought a new 22' aluminum cuddy with an I/O. That was much better but was on top of the water and when things got rough control was tough. After 2 years I finally woke up and bought a 24' cuddy with a 350 I/O. Felt even better with the 26' and 30' ran later. Even on those I never had more than 8 and most often 6 or less.
I belong to the DAV which has a partnership with Ford. Even with the fantastic pricing I choose Dodge with the Hemi.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

If looking at a Sea Ray-- older is preferred over newer and if you want a tin boat-- there is only one make and model-- the Lund Baron either 2050 or 2150. They are deep and heavy just get the 6 banger I/O.