1990 Wellcraft Eclipse Mercruiser 3.0 Sitting for 3-years. Need Service Suggestions.

Rebel01

Seaman Apprentice
Hi All,

I found a 1990 Wellcraft Eclipse 18'6' Bowrider with low hours as it was only used for summer vacations then stored. It has more wear from the sun than anything else. Of course, the sun is pretty strong here in Greece. Anyway, I was looking for project boats and couldn't decide + was saving some funds to make the purchase.

Anyway, I am concerned as to the servicing required after sitting for so long without use. Can you guys give me some ideas? I will have the local boatyard deal with the majority of the cleaning, etc., but I want deal with the engine and tuning myself for the most part. I will also have them do the compression check, as I don't have a compression test kit anymore.

I'm a little concerned about the outdrive though. The engine work, or any troubleshooting, is not a big worry of mine. My concern is whether the outdrive will need maintenance after sitting for so long without use.

Any ideas or advice is very welcomed!

Cheers,

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1990 Wellcraft Eclipse Mercruiser 3.0 Sitting for 3-years. Need Service Suggesti

Was it stored properly, fluids changed, etc.
Does it turn over/crank
Is there oil in the outdrive and not any water
remove the oil pan drain plug and check for water before starting
impeller is replaced every 2 years no matter what
If there was no water trapped in the bellows ,drive should just fall off, water may have rusted the input shaft to the gimbal bearing if the drive is difficult to temove.