1995 Sea Doo SPX - 657x - Flooding Issue

rhoustonwolf

Recruit
Hey guys Im brand new to the forums. I just got my first jet ski and I just turned 18 yesterday :cool:. Bought a cheap jet ski for $900 from a local guy on Craigslist. Its a 1995 SeaDoo SPX with the 657x motor. Came with trailer & got both titles, he also dry started the motor to show it works. That day I took it to my local reservoir and tried to launch it when the back end started to sink. I'm not sure what the problem is. The motor starts fine (657x), and it only floods the inside when the motor is off, when on it doesn't flood and pumps the water out. The back end is where the water oozes in at, and it fills quite quickly. The drain plug is NOT leaking. Can I get any idea what the problem is? Like I said, the engine runs fine but there must be some cracked part? Let me know what you think.

Thanks guys
- Houston

Last edited:

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1995 Sea Doo SPX - 657x - Flooding Issue

There are a number of grommets that go through the transom that seal wires and tubing. Some just screw down tight. There are a number of joints on the cooling tubes that can leak if the clamps are not tight.

I had an XP with the trim on the nozzle. I got water into the electronic module after there was a loose grommet. Fixing it was a very expensive fix. I ended up junking the ski.

Note: Your bike probably has the white 757 engine @ 110 hp. They're a single ring engine, and has a power valve like a motorcross motorcycle motor. Needless to say they're fast. But unfortunately they're not the longest living engines around.

And whatever you do, get to the bottom of your problem as water can get into your electrical stator and the starter that are mounted down low. Starters are a ***** to replace. You might want to back the ski into the water on the trailer and see if any leaks show up easily. Otherwise, you might have to lash down the ski and start the engine looking for leaks.

And after you solve your problem, don't leave your ski in the water for extended time without watching it closely.

I switched over to a 4 stroke Yamaha VX Cruiser 2 years ago. Its bulletproof mechanically and 54 mph is fast enough for me.

rhoustonwolf

Recruit

Today I tried to put in while still on the trailer. Still leaks and seems to be coming from the rear of the ski. Should i just re tighten all of the clamps? I also have heard of a cracked seal? Thanks for the great information

rhoustonwolf

Recruit

I found the problem. There is a hole in the plastic piece that runs water through the engine with the drive shaft and spins the rotors. The plastic piece underneath the rubber cover is broken. What should I do to fix this?

Pics:
Vx3JBHa.jpg

i0a6OQT.jpg

jAEN1hT.jpg

timmyboy76

Petty Officer 3rd Class

no, its the THRU-HULL fitting. You'll need to order a new one, and clean up whats their. Dremmell/file out the old one, until the new one fits in. You'll want to epoxy the new one. Unfortunetly, you'll have to remove the pump. Not a hard job, but nontheless. Get yourself a new "neoprene" seal ring as well, to seal pump to hull, when re-installing. Also, take a look at that "carrier bearing" set-up. Since the thru-hull spun itself, more then likely, you'll need to replace that setup, too.