crusader 270 stalling issue

jif102

Seaman
I am having an issue with my 1986 Silverton. It has twin 270 crusaders. The boat has one gas tank but everything else is separate. Last Sunday the starboard engined stalled. About 15 seconds letter the port engine stalled. I thought I ran out of gas. Today I changed all the filters and put fresh fuel in. The old filters were clean. No crud.

Both engines will fire up but stall out in 5 to 10 secs of running. If I play with the throttle they may stay running a little longer.

Gas is good and tank it clean. I can't figure out what it is. Both engines are acting the same.

Let me add both engines ran fine all season until Sunday. Need some ideas. It is hard to believe that the same thing would happen to both engines. All filters were filled with fuel when replaced.

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Re: crusader 270 stalling issue

I am having an issue with my 1986 Silverton. It has twin 270 crusaders. The boat has one gas tank but everything else is separate. Last Sunday the starboard engined stalled. About 15 seconds letter the port engine stalled. I thought I ran out of gas. Today I changed all the filters and put fresh fuel in. The old filters were clean. No crud.

Both engines will fire up but stall out in 5 to 10 secs of running. If I play with the throttle they may stay running a little longer.

Gas is good and tank it clean. I can't figure out what it is. Both engines are acting the same.

Let me add both engines ran fine all season until Sunday. Need some ideas. It is hard to believe that the same thing would happen to both engines. All filters were filled with fuel when replaced.

Ayuh,... Test the fuel pumps, 'n run it on a Remote Tank to test yer fuel system,....

dakotamusic12

Recruit
Re: crusader 270 stalling issue

Check the Anti-Syphon valve located at the top of the tank fuel line. The elbow at the top of the tank and then the fitting that the flare nut goes to....this is a small ballcheck that prevents fuel from pouring inot the bilge should you break a line between tank and fuel pump. They do get clogged with dirt and or sludge and get stuck closed. It will allow a little fuel thru however with both engines drawing fuel the volume isnt enough.. Pretty common and easy to fix. Lts of people knock the ball out however its not advisable.
I have duel tanks on my 85 silverton and and port engine started sputtering and dying...would restore after 2 minutes and ran fine at idle...increase RPMs and the engine would sputter and die in 3-5 minutes.....chanegd all my fuel filters (4) and even removed carb screens.....all clean but I chanegd anyway.....some older fisherman told me about the check valve....removed and port side was 90% blocked. Cleaned it out reinstalled and no problems since. My fuel is clean, treated and fresh......but an 85 boat has to have some dirt int he tanks....give it a look ...its cheap and easy to fix.