Can anyone identify my new project?

hughesb1

Cadet
This is my first post on the forum and what better way to start than with a HUGE project? I'm not sure of the year of the boat or what engine it used to have. Any advise is welcomed! This was my dad's old boat and was given away due to engine troubles. I located it a week ago and it is sitting in a cow pasture without the engine. So good news, no more engine trouble.... The plan is to replace the stringers, floor, and engine. Next will be to build out the interior and have it upholstered. I want to make the interior into a wraparound interior like many of the new boats. The outside of the boat will be last, well last to be pretty. I will have to fix some fiberglass and gel-coat but making it look pretty is one of the last things because of the cost.

downsize (1).jpg

downsize (2).jpg

downsize (3).jpg

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Re: Can anyone identify my new project?

Hi and welcome...
Hope this helps...

Good luck and have fun!
GT1M

hughesb1

Cadet

Hi and welcome...
Hope this helps...

Good luck and have fun!
GT1M
help

Thanks for the info! I do know it has a number on the back but since Renken went out of business in '95, I'm not sure where I will input that information to learn more. The glove box says Italia but i think it may have been added after the manufacturing. I say this because all of the Renken Italia boats say Italia along the side of the boat. Thanks again for the response!!!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Have you considered the costs of this project especially since it has no motor, outdrive, or Trailer? I forsee $4-6K in costs and 200 man hours of work. If you have this in mind and don't mind the work then we'll be here to help you all along the way. Most boats without a working motor and outdrive are deemed to be unworthy of restoration.;)

hughesb1

Cadet

Woodonglass,
Thanks for the post! Yes I have weighed the cost and know it will be hard work. The issue that I have is that a used boat around 6k to even 10k still seems to need work of some kind. The goal is to have a boat and because I am getting the boat for free and its sentimental value I can't not take it on! I am good with woodworking and I have done fiberglass in the past. y biggest concern is the engine. I know my cars and my mower......boat are kinda new to me. I will post more pics when I go pick it up in two weeks!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

The good thing is the time an money invested will give you a boat that, once finished, will be better than factory, and will last for decades. Your first order of business is to make sure you have all the paperwork in place. Titles, Registration etc. If you don't OWN it don't spend a dime on it!! Once you have that squared away, you should not do anything to her until you find out what kind of motor and outdrive she uses and then locate one that is in good running condition or that can be made to be. Be aware that good Motors and Outdrives can be $3-4K and are not easy to find.

hughesb1

Cadet

What is the process for getting it put in my name, and how much is that going to cost me?

52FordF2

Petty Officer 1st Class

Welcome aboard, I was going to get mine titled in Indiana originally. You can do a search on the BMV of Indiana for forms on titles.
* You will need a Indiana Bill of sale from previous owner.Unless they have the title to sign over? It just needs to have $0.01 in the purchase price. Computers don't take FREE for an answer.
* You will need an Inspection form, for the County Police Officer doing the inspection. If you have a trailer he can do that at that time also.
* Indiana drivers licence
If you go to the BMV near you, they were really helpful in steering me in the right direction.

Hope this helps

52FordF2

hughesb1

Cadet

The inspection is the only confusing part..... There isnt much to inspect with this boat.....

52FordF2

Petty Officer 1st Class

The inspection is the only confusing part..... There isn't much to inspect with this boat.....

The officer basically verifies that it is the correct hull number or VIN. On trailers it is normally a decal that probably fell off at some point. Sometimes their stamped at coupler, axle, or near where licence plate goes.

Goodluck, 52FordF2

1NewBoatGuy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The most promissing I seen was a guy restoring a cheetah.
http://forums.iboats.com/boat-resto...210es-restore-not-looking-forward-510438.html
beautiful boat but in the end (after more than 1 year of work) the owner decided to chop it up, scrap it and purchase a new boat.

Looks like someone had this boat previously and parting it out to nearly nothing that is salvageable. Unfortunately seems like you committed to taking it. A lot of people do this because getting rid of a junk fiberglass boat is nearly impossible and reubuilding it is an incredible undertaking.
Here on these forums I have read through countless threads. They'll part it out to junk then list it on craigslist for free knowing that someone will think they should not pass up a free boat.
For 5-10k you can get a pretty nice sea worthy boat (in fact I think it is pretty common that you can pick one up for about $2500) You just have to be willing to be patient and relentless on your search for a good deal. Most take on rebuilders because they dont have the immediate cash and figure it would be a worth while task to rebuild. Your first boat should never be a major rebuild because after your done you may find that your desire for boating may not be as great as it once was.
Also when you consider the total cost of the project it is not just the supplies (wood, screws, fiberglass fabric and resin). If you don't have the appropriate tools (saws, clamps, drills, etc..) then you can plan to drop another $1000 for those. Remember breathing fiberglass dust (from cutting) and fumes (from laying new resin) is a terrible thing and you may as well bust out a carton of smokes if you don't have a respirator and protective suit.
Trips to hardware store (commonly overlooked) gas is not cheap and convenient hardware stores aren't either. You don't want to order everything on line especially when you find your self at a milestone in your project and you don't want to wait out a week to get more materials you did not plan for.

This is what I would do, ditch the boat there are tons of these on craigslist. Save up the 5-10k it will take to fix it up. Once your got your cash in hand for supplies and all. Search for boats knowing you have the funds. While searching if you stumble across something you suspect as a sea worthy boat, bring it to a marine surveyor have it checked over real well. It may cost to have it checked but you will get a good idea of what you got. If you still feel like rebuilding a junker, go get that free junker and rebuild it.
Oh yeah, if you don't have a trailer for that free boat, don't expect to find a free trailer. Most dump the boats to sell the trailers. A used boat-less trailer will go for about $300+ (more once you replace the tires and fix hubs). A trailer with a junk boat is just as worthless as the boat it self, since off loading the boat is a pain staking process.

So in a nut shell, my advice would be read the rebuild section, look for a completed rebuild thread (there aren't many) and look at the date on the first post. Go all the way to the last post (when the project was finished, normally years later) and see if this is the project you want to commit to.

1NewBoatGuy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Not to further poop on the party,
But the weeds growing up from the floor of the boat are a great indication the boat is full of rotten wood, mouse droppings and what ever elase.
damn shame people don't take care of there possessions better. Boats really should last a lot longer than a lot of these projects people are finding.

hughesb1

Cadet

Well now that I am thoroughly depressed.... haha I understand what I am getting into to but I appreciate the pep-talk. It' still something I want to take on. Even if it takes me 5 years, it would still be worth it. My wife and I grew up on the water but or parents still aren't willing to let go of their boats... Tools wont be bad as I am always working on projects.....Grinder, sawzall, paint gun, chop saw, mitre saw.... I have got most everything I need.

hughesb1

Cadet

The officer basically verifies that it is the correct hull number or VIN. On trailers it is normally a decal that probably fell off at some point. Sometimes their stamped at coupler, axle, or near where licence plate goes.

Goodluck, 52FordF2

Thanks for the info! Should be a fun ride!