What is best way to flush MFS18 on a boat lift / dock?

RRitt

Captain
I have a small boat for exploring saltwater bays and inlets. The boat will be at a dock on an electric lift. The dock has freshwater hose outlet and the lift has rear maintenance platforms to the right and left of engine opening. Neither the boat or the engine will ever be on a trailer or in position for running in a barrel. I bought a pair of muffs but the water comes out of the cavitation plate without reaching pee hole. I am afraid that I might burn engine or impeller running on muffs.

what is the best way to flush this engine after use?
The engine is a 2005 Nissan NFS18 with electric start. It is same as Tohatsu MFS18.

TIA, Richard

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: What is best way to flush MFS18 on a boat lift / dock?

Use the muffs and use a plastic tie across it to pull it tight enough not to leak.

RRitt

Captain

There is a third water intake, behind the anode and facing down towars the prop. The water comes out of that hole as fast as the hose pushes it in. In a barrel or bay there is a picture perfect stream of water from the pee hole. On muffs, i get nothing. Even with plastic tie and engine running, the pee hole is dry.

I'm wondering if the Tohatsu flush fitting has a valve or something that prevents water from escaping out the third water intake. Or maybe they make special three hole muffs? or maybe i'm suppossed to drop the gearcase after every saltwater run? Right now, I'm thinking tohatsu plus saltwater equals bogus.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Or you could read the owners manual and see you are supposed to tape that secondary water intake off when you flush the engine.

RRitt

Captain

Thanks, I skipped over everything after "remove propeller and thrust washer". I just assummed that was a dead end street. No way I would start taking the prop off after every little trip.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

These Japs thinks everybody is cracy to remove nut and prop everytime the engine is flushed, out of this world nonsense. If your water system has good pressure, no need to tape lower anticav plate screen, pressure will suffice only if you have muffs well tight against lower leg to avoid water loss. If you would like to use water flusher adapter, will need to tape all three water intakes or too much water will come out of them experimenting poor peeing.

Happy Boating.

Last edited: