Evinrude E70 starter issue

cal9908

Cadet
hello forum,
just finished putting a new floor and putting an additional storage area in my 1995 Quest 170 cc. after getting all the electronics hookep (correctly?), everything works, but the starter won't engage the flywheel. it spins, but it will not pop up to engage. what could be the problems? it does not chatter like a car starter with a low battery, it just sits and spins. i don't have a battery tester to see if they are good, but one is brand new and that one is hooked to the motor, i believe. it all goes through a master on/off switch (bat 1, bat 2, both, and off.) had it on the charger all night.
here is a link to pics of the project.
Boat Rebuild Photos by cal9908 | Photobucket
thanks,
Calvin

joelybob

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Evinrude E70 starter issue

Hi, when you turn key does starter spin fast or kinda sluggish ? I would start with cleaning every battery connection even on the battery switch. then try it and report back

cal9908

Cadet

to me, it seems to be spinning pretty fast, but i wouldn't really know if it wasn't spinning as fast as it should be. i will check out all the connections again when i get home from work today.

Will Bark

Lieutenant

Put a little 3 in 1 oil on starter shaft and see what happens.

pn

Petty Officer 1st Class

the bendix gear should be able to go up and down by twisting it manually, clean it up and grease it. nice job on your boat, you might wanna get a bigger motor.