Installing a ski hook

Nijkampr

Seaman Apprentice
Hi guys,

I would like to install a ski hook on the back of my boat. We do a lot of tubing and I like the idea of having the hook a little higher up at the center of the boat (to help keep the rope our of the water).

I have attached a picture of the back of the boat showing where I was hoping to mount the hook. There are no obstructions on the back side of the fiberglass in that area so mounting would be very easy. But before I started drilling, I was hoping to get some feedback in the event this is a weak point.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Attachments

• 20130719_081728.jpg
    20130719_081728.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 4

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Installing a ski hook

Even if the hook comes with a big internal washer: Just be certain to back up the hook with a large block of wood, or better, a relatively thick plate of aluminum to spread the load over a large area of fiberglass.

Remember: It is not a lifting eye or a real towing eye and the loads you will put on it towing a tube or shier will not be really great--a couple of hundred pounds pull at most.

noclutch

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No hijack intended here, but in regards to OEM installed ski tow hooks, my understating is that there is a huge difference between the loads applied by a skier or boarder vs say a 3 or 4 person tube, the later which may be beyond "ski" hooks load capacity. Hence the difference between ski and 4 person tow rope diameter/capacity.

Can anyone comment on this?

Last edited:

oldjeep

Admiral

No hijack intended here, but in regards to OEM installed ski tow hooks, my understating is that there is a huge difference between the loads applied by a skier or boarder vs say a 3 or 4 person tube, the later which may be beyond "ski" hooks load capacity. Hence the difference between ski and 4 person tow rope diameter/capacity.

Can anyone comment on this?

I don't think I've ever seen a ski loop that said you couldn't tow a tube from it. You never want to tow a tube from a pylon or tower due to the leverage issues.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Remember: It is not a lifting eye or a real towing eye and the loads you will put on it towing a tube or shier will not be really great--a couple of hundred pounds pull at most.

Tubing the ropes are rated for 4000-6000 lbs you better rethink that because if the tube submarines the load can easily go that high.

noclutch

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Tubing the ropes are rated for 4000-6000 lbs you better rethink that because if the tube submarines the load can easily go that high.

Yep, and that was my concern/query: Are OEM ski eyes up to that kind of load?? Or are harnesses that clip to the transom tie down loops better suited to tubes??

noclutch

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't think I've ever seen a ski loop that said you couldn't tow a tube from it. You never want to tow a tube from a pylon or tower due to the leverage issues.

Thanks for the feedback. Of course there would be a huge difference between a 60# girl solo tube riding and 3 or 4 adult children on high speed thrill ride.

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The tow hook on the back of my boat (Larson) is mounted through a block of what I believe is "Starboard" that is glassed in.

It appears to be about 1/2" thick and a foot long by 4" high. Mounted on top of that is a 4" X 4" Aluminum plate-3/8" thick. Probably overkill but it is indeed stout.

The owners manual states that the hook is sutable for skiing and tubing. No limits outlined in the manual.

Nijkampr

Seaman Apprentice

I think I'm going to pass on the ski hook and pick this up instead
Airhead Self-Centring Tow Harness, 12-ft
It's roughly the same money and I get to spread the load over the 2 trailer hooks and not just the one.
It doesn't help getting the rope out of the wake but it should help with cornering a bit (as opposed to pulling from one side of the transom).

Nijkampr

Seaman Apprentice

The tow hook on the back of my boat (Larson) is mounted through a block of what I believe is "Starboard" that is glassed in.

It appears to be about 1/2" thick and a foot long by 4" high. Mounted on top of that is a 4" X 4" Aluminum plate-3/8" thick. Probably overkill but it is indeed stout.

The owners manual states that the hook is sutable for skiing and tubing. No limits outlined in the manual.

This was my concern. The fiberglass at the top of the transom on my boat is not very thick (I can see light through it). And even with a block of wood and or plate of aluminum behind it, I am still weary of its strength.