Thru-Hull fittings

AntsGrady

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi guys, I've been reading a lot about Thru-Hull fittings cracking on Grady Whites. I'll be checking mine out next weekend to see if I see any trouble. My question is are these things easy to remove and replace if need be?? :confused: <br /><br />Thanks!!

cowboyup

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Thru-Hull fittings

AntsGrady,<br /><br />I've got a 24 walk around style and it had the factory installed pvc type. They sun bleach and finally crack on the inside, so look closely. I replaced ALL mine with SS bulkhead fittings. Kinda pricey, but considering what a pain in the @ss it was, I'll never do it again. The scuppers, rear livewell and rear bilge pumps were not too difficult. The bulkheads that drain the fishboxes, cooler and the ones in front of each chair are impossible unless you're quadruple jointed and have 48" arms. Just be sure and use 5200 to seal them from the outside. Enjoy!

AntsGrady

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the reply okstatefan, The boat is a 81 but is in phenomenal shape. This never even crossed my mind until I started reading some of these posts. Sounds like replacing them is no easy task but if it does/will need to be done I only want to have to do it once. Fortunately I have not noticed excessive water in the bilge, just your normal rain and washin as it's an outboard with a fairly low transom. Judging by some of these posts it may be a good idea just to do it. A boat truely is a hole in the water which one pours money into!!!

cowboyup

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you get the itch and want to replace them, use two medium size channel locks and another set of hands. Number the fittings with the holes they came from 'cause some are 1" and others are 1-1/4". Use a pencil on the holes on the boat, its easily cleaned off. Once removed, take them to the store to match them exactly. Here's a removal hint for you. If yours are the pvc type, its easier to break them off from the outside, rather than fighting that oxidation and trying to unscrew them. BE careful not to scratch the gelcoat. The second pair of hands is inside the boat, catching the backside of the bulkhead fitting and unscrewing it from the hose. When re-installing the new fittings, use soap suds to help put the hose on. They use wire reinforced exhaust hose so its extra stiff and difficult to handle in tight places. Chances are, you won't be able to see what you're doing which adds to the fun. And remember, you've got to get those channel locks back in there. Hence, the need for small/medium ones. You'll be asking yourself how in the &^%$ did they get those in there more than once. I ended up cutting inspection ports to access two of my fittings. Hopefully, yours isn't done so bassackwards. Good luck.

1Moredrift

Seaman Apprentice

I have a 1986 24 ft Grady White Offshore and I have been getting water in the bilge the last two years and have not been able to figure out the source. Based on this post I think I have something else to check. <br /><br />Did I understand correctly that the fittings from the deck/bilge/fishbox are connected to the thru hull fittings by a hose with hose clamps?<br /><br />Which fittings required inspection ports be cut?

cowboyup

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes sir, that is correct. The two bulkhead fittings on the port side drain the fishbox cooler and passenger area respectively. The three fittings on the starboard side drain as the port do with the additional one connected to the forward bilge pump. I replaced all exhaust hose with black flexible bilge hose and new ss hose clamps. I put one 6" inspection port directly in front each bulkhead fitting on the floor at the driver's feet and passenger's feet. Trust me, that was the last resort, but after picking out several fiberglass splinters, I put both hatches on. You might be able to get away with 4" ports, but I've got boxing gloves for hands.

AntsGrady

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I've got 2 cracked thru-hull fittings. Now the fun begins. Maybe I can just seal them with 3M 5200 sealant?

cowboyup

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ask yourself this. Are you willing to put you and your family on the boat with peace of mind knowing what really needed to be done? I couldn't sleep a wink. 5200 is great stuff, but it is a sealant, not a crack filler. Bite the bullet and do it right. You'll sleep better too.

D

DJ

Ask yourself this. Are you willing to put you and your family on the boat with peace of mind knowing what really needed to be done? I couldn't sleep a wink. 5200 is great stuff, but it is a sealant, not a crack filler. Bite the bullet and do it right. You'll sleep better too
DITTO!

Realgun

Commander

Just break down and buy some good fitting IE SS or brass and be real happy with them and the new look. Post pictures!

18rabbit

Captain

I hate the plastic thru-hull fittings. Fwiw, if you paint them, and it seems the boat manf’s never do, you can get 10 or 15-years out of them. Don’t paint them and you will be replacing them as soon as a couple years. It really depends on how you store your boat, the sun, etc.

cc lancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sea Ray also got some of the bad ones back in the early 80's. Their problem was the boats sunk.<br />Stainless or brass.

AntsGrady

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I went to the marina yesterday and they only had plastic ones. You would think they would carry different types considering how much people dislike the plastic ones. I'll have to go to a different marina or find a good website. Are brass the best ones to get? No electrolosis probles or anything? I've read reports SS ones need to be grounded etc.....