98 mercruiser 5.7 WOT issues

rjarr14

Cadet
ok i have a 98 mercruiser 5.7 it will idle great but when you get on it it takes awhile to plane and when it does it will only hit 3000 rpm and will run smooth but it lacks power but at 3k u let of and get right back into it it will go right back to 3k quicker than it did from take off the prop is factory and new and its had a tune up coil, plugs, cap , and new carb, rotor im at a loss any ideas? it ran great 2 weeks ago... thanks in advance.... it has a 4bbl carb no points... mybe a fuel issue? or could it be a control mod?

Last edited:

Fun Times

Staff member
Re: 98 mercruiser 5.7 WOT issues

it ran great 2 weeks ago...
Did the engine run good before you did the tune up, prop, coil, plugs, cap, rotor, and new carb??? Then it ran bad afterwards or did you do all new items in hopes to get it running correctly once again?

rjarr14

Cadet

Thanks for the reply.. it was running bad before i changed the parts.. i did a compression check all cyl are good..

Bondo

Staff member

Thanks for the reply.. it was running bad before i changed the parts.. i did a compression check all cyl are good..its had a tune up coil, plugs, cap , and new carb, rotor im at a loss any ideas?

Ayuh,... Were any of the old parts inspected,..?? What were their conditions,..??

Was Anything Tested,..??

I don't see Fuel Filter either,... Check it's Contents for crud, 'n water,...

Last edited:

rjarr14

Cadet

ok yes the parts were inspected... all looked good but figured I would replace to save the hassle later.. yes the filter was replaced and no junk or water found... as far as timing it was good.. is there a way to test the control mod? and the pickup? also the intake was tested as well... I have worked on many 5.7's with the HEI... this one is giving me a run...