Sea ray sea rayder

downeastrob

Cadet
I have learned more about this boat in the last 2 months than I've ever wanted to know. I have collected all information and performed the work from this forum. All old posts, no replies to mine. I have diagnosed and installed an updated electrical system. After cooking a piston I have torn the motor down completely and rebuilt it with a simple hone standard pistons and rings bearings and seals and gaskets. I have rebuilt the wear ring.
I had this out for 15 mins and the motor died again. Like it did before the rebuild. Aluminum on number 3 plug. Instead of calling it quits I said hell with it swapped the plug and kept going. Seemed to be over heating where the flyweel and head were pretty hot. I pulled the hose off the fitting on the pump and the pump was working but it seemed like exhaust was coming from the hose. I pulled the flush plug off and same thing.

Can someone confirm I should be looking for a cracked block or leaking manifold gasket? My theory is that water from the coolant system is causing the melting piston on number 3.

Also seem to have more vacuum on number three at the carb than 1 or 2. Is this an issue?

Please help out a fellow boater!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Re: Sea ray sea rayder

lean conditions cause burned pistons.

since you have vacuum discrepancies on the carbs, start with a carb sync.

downeastrob

Cadet
Re: Sea ray sea rayder

I bench synced them. They were off a bit from when I originally bought it but all were horizontal at full throttle, and closed at idle. It will fire up with out any problem and rip for about 10 to 15 mins but it gets pretty hot. It will just die out completely but start up again with choke.

I will check carbs anti-siphon and tank tomorrow. The anti-siphon is at the electric oil injection pump?