Do's and Dont's with 350 Mag MPI and Bravo III drive?

Glen1978

Recruit
Hey guys just bought a new to me 2006 Stingray 230 LX with the Mercruiser 350 Mag MPI and Bravo III outdrive.....106 hours on it when I got it. Never had this big of boat, motor or drive for that matter so just looking for some general advice on them. Dos and Donts basically. I know I really like the combo so far and want it to last. The previous owner had documentation of throrough winterization and summerization too....although I had to go out of town and didnt get to look through all of it. I did read through the pinned stuff at the top but most was about Alpha drives and was just "general info".....tried the search but the 3 letter stuff doesnt search. Thanks

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Do's and Dont's with 350 Mag MPI and Bravo III drive?

Welcome to IBOATS

First thing to "do" is obtain the official Merc. service manuals. Here are links where you can read them online but maybe someone else has them available for download. Your B3 could be a model year 2005 not 2006 and the manuals changed for the Bravos for 2006 so the drive serial number would show which manual is for you.

Do plan on pulling the drive each year for checking the bellows and engine alignment along with the other maintenance items regarding water/fuel separator, engine/drive oil and raw water pump/impeller, lubing the propshaft, etc.

Can't offer any help regarding the engine side.

Boatinfo - Mercruiser Service Manual nr. 28 - 1999-2006 - Bravo One, Two, Three & XZ/XR Sterndrives
Boatinfo - Mercruiser Service Manual nr. 39 - 2006-Up Bravo Drives
Boatinfo - Mercruiser Service Manual nr. 31 - 2001-Up - 5.0L (305), 5.7L (350), and 6.2L (377) Engines

Mark

agallant80

Commander

I dont' know if you have owned a boat before. I had an Alpha drive on my stingray and my new boat has a Bravo. Two things to keep in mind. Props for the Bravo cost about $900+ for the set vs the $100 I paid for the Alpha and the bravo does not have a prop hub.

Watch your depth. If you run aground or hit something with an Alpha you are looking at a new prop and prop/hub if you do it with the bravo you may be looking at much more in repair. Now with that said the Bravo is a much more stout drive. The SS props on it take so much more abuse than the aluminuim props that most people run on the Alpha drives.

TilliamWe

Banned

The biggest don't with a B3 is DON'T let it start to corrode. If you plan to keep it in the water, make sure you have the proper anodes for the type of water you're in, make sure the Mercathode is working properly, keep the paint in good shape, and inspect the rear bearing carrier (have to remove both props) every year for corrosion.