Im having prop problems.

sstumpf

Seaman Apprentice
So, a couple of week ago my prop fell of at the marina after we backed the boat off the trailer. I don't know the pitch and diameter of that prop. So now I've been trying to replace it, It was a 4 blade renegade prop. I have talked to some local boat mechanics and they told me to get a 13.5x23p prop, So i got one and it would over rev the engine and was very hard to get up on plane. So then they said try a 13.5x25p prop, so i did and it was even harder to get up on plane, what is happening is when I try to get a hole shot it bowls out the water so then the engine is just sucking air. So Im not sure which way I need to go with this or if I even have the right diameter. I would like to stay with a 4 blade renegade stainless though.

Engine: 1998 Johnson Venom 200HP V6.

Boat: 1998 21Ft, Stratos 290sf, Fish and ski boat.

any help with this is appreciated.

Thanks.

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Im having prop problems.

i would go down to 21 pitch or even less, you are going the wrong direction if you can't plane well. And I would think your prop would be in the 14" diameter range - but I don't know that much about Johnson engines to be sure

sstumpf

Seaman Apprentice

ok, Also something I forgot to mention is that with the 23p prop it let me get up to 6200rpm, which is way to high for the motor, the 25p prop would only get up to 5400rpm, which is where i want to be, So would'nt going down to a 21p just make the rpm's higher? Someone was saying because I am trying a 13.5in prop that too much exhaust is getting out and that could be the reason I cant get on plane easy and the water is bowling out.

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander

Do u have the correct thrust washer. Something does sound right

westcoaster90

Seaman Apprentice

if yer running a 23p prop on a 200 on a 21' boat and not getting up on plane it sounds like your cavitating. I would actually be running a 19p on that boat for all around performance but should be getting on plane regardless. a 19p would be good for all weight you would ever consider to load. I have no idea how heavy your boat is but the last 21' I owned really liked a 19p. I loaded it up a lot though.

MaPaHa

Petty Officer 1st Class

Was the 23 and 25 you tried a 3 blade or 4 blade? Does either one have exhaust ports? They help getting out of the water. If they are 3 blade I can see why it's doing what it's doing. If they are 4 blade you might have the 25 modified half way down towards the 23. I've got a 4 blade renegade on a 18.9 F/S with a 175 and love it.

jestor68

Commander

All of the other props for the Johnson/Evinrude 200 are at least 14" in diameter.

The Raker props are all 14.25" in diameter for the V-6 motors. I'd use one of those before the Renegade.

The Renegade only comes in one size; 13.5 X 23.

Last edited:

sstumpf

Seaman Apprentice

Both of the props I have tried are a renegade 4 blade. So renegade only comes in 13.5? That would mean my old one would have to been a 13.5, so that couldn't be the problem. The thrust washer was machined by a local prop guy, so I'm not saying it is right because it's not oem, could that have something to do with it? Maybe the prop doesn't sit far enough back? So I should be going down in pitch? Even though with the 23 there was too much rpm?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

If the information is correct the 290sf is only 1600 lbs.
What was the original wide open throttle rpm and speed lightly loaded?
I wouldn't be surprised if a 1600 lb boat used a 23" pitch but I think no les than 14" diameter.

sstumpf

Seaman Apprentice

The wide open rpm was about 5400rpm and ran 60-65mph, on a calm day.

I agree with the 14" diameter, but renegade only made 13.5" so that had to have been what I had, and it worked great.

MARV1

Seaman Apprentice

Get one that has the proper diameter, 14"+ and start with the 23p. The one you are trying is too small and venting over the hub causing it to spin worthlessly until you get on step...