Using a DA for polishing and waxing- just like on a car? X-post

noclutch

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My boat is about 5 years old, 200 running hours (maybe 600 sun exposure hours?), garage kept, usually washed after every fresh water outing, always washed thoroughly every salt (infrequent) and with a marine or auto soap. It has been hand waxed maybe only 2 times, and I feel guilty! Though it looks very good overall- no oxidation, fading etc, though I do have some fine scratches where the fenders have rubbed. Waxing over them made no real difference in appearance. I'm starting to think she needs a deeper polish where these scratches are I guess while I'm at it an overall polishing and waxing.

I'm fairly proficient with a DA - I can do my black truck and car without making holograms, usually....:facepalm: But I'm only familiar with DAing on auto clear coat finishes, and gel coat is much softer than this.

So what kind of advice can y'all give me in regards DA technique on my boat? Any difference in technique when compared to an automobile?

My worst nightmare would be to cover my beautiful boat in holograms! Or are those more of a clear coat phenomenon? I have the 2.0 finishing pads and polishing pads from Meguiars, though I'd be hesitant to use the later except for maybe on the fender spots. I also have a few terry applicator bonnets for wax application, or should I just use finishing pads? Applying wax by hand on the broad expanses of hull is very tedious! I'm a bit of a Meguairs fan boy but open to suggestions from those with experience. I do have the Meguairs marine 45 wax and 58 polish is on order. I've yet to go to the Meguairs forum for input as I wanted to hear from y'all first!

Thanks!

(yes I had posted a couple months ago about the fender scratches and appreciate the feedback there, but this query is more about DA use for general waxing and polishing)

Last edited:

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Using a DA for polishing and waxing- just like on a car? X-post

I suggest you look on AutoGeek.com and Meguiars.com for guidance on gel coat polishing and marine detailing in general.

You should find forums on these subjects easily.

With the D/A sander, you have the equipment to do it with. D/A sanders are not as aggressive as regular high speed polishers and won't get you in trouble so easily.

Good luck!