steering wheel wrap

redstrat

Petty Officer 1st Class
I decided to try to wrap my steering wheel to match my interior... easier said than done. Looked at some videos; 8 try later I have something I'm pleased with. Here is what I learned. 1. Make your cover to the inside diameter of the wheel. 2. Cut the vinyl across the roll so that the fabric will stretch. 3. Make the cover 1" wider than the wrapped diameter. 4. Mark the fabric on the back side 1/2" from the edge. 5. Carefully iron the edge to the 1/2" line (I put construction paper over the vinyl to protect it from melting), this can take a bit of practice. 6. Mark both folded edges at 1/2" increments. 7. Punch through the marks with an awl. (I use a closed cell foam pad under the fabric). 8. Stretch your cover over the wheel centering it where you want it. 9. Stitch it up. There are many different stitches you can use. I used a cross stitch with curved needles. I can't tell you how many hour this took me, but the next one will get done in about 6 to 8 hours start to finish. IMG_5507.jpgIMG_5506.jpgIMG_5508.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: steering wheel wrap

Looks nice but...It looks like you need to use a larger diameter of thead or possibly cording and use a sewing awl to stitch it with. That small diameter thread won't last very long IMHO. The overal fit and look of the vinyl is outstanding!!!! For the next one you might want to use some Seam Tape instead of ironing them it really works well, and makes nice crisp straight edges in the vinyl. http://www.sailrite.com/Seamstick-3-8-for-Canvas-60-Yds

Last edited:

redstrat

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: steering wheel wrap

It's Aqua polyester thread. I think it will hold up. I wanted to match the top stitching on my seats. We'll see... I tried seam tape but it wasn't holding the vinyl. No soft baking on this fabric. Thanks for the compliment on the fit. That was the hard part.