Radio on the fritz

DaddyAirtime

Cadet
I have a 2006 larson Lxi 5.0 Volvo penta GXI f with SX OD. I also have one battery, a Clarion CMD4 head unit, external XM Sirius unit and antenna, amp, 4 speakers, and a powered bazooka tube.

Normally I can run the stereo on accessory without issues. If the battery gets low, I have a portable jumpstarter although I have yet to use it in this situation. Recently the radio has been on the fritz. It works normally without issue when the boat is running. But, when I use the radio on accessory, the sound starts getting distorted and the headunit looks like it is getting power fluctuations. The display goes in and out. The battery is new and has a good charge, but the sound acts like the speakers or amp is acting up. When I start the boat, all works well with no issue. Any advice would be appreciated.

Additionaly, I have a external head unit controller mounted near the steering wheel. It will not change channels while in SAT mode. The head unit is XM capable, the controller is compatible with the HU. When you try to use the controller to change the channel, it goes to channel 186. Channel up or down always stays on 186. The only way to change the SAT channel is to use the head unit controls.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Re: Radio on the fritz

More than likely a bad connection some place, and when the motor is running it has a higher voltage that over comes the poor connection.