Removing Water Stains from Aluminum

jsmoak

Recruit
Need info on cleaning and restoring aluminum pontoons that have water stains from long periods of being left in fresh water lake and river.

Laddies

Banned
Re: Removing Water Stains from Aluminum

They simple get gray to black, I don't know any way to get them back to orginal color, you can sand them, but it will remove the aniodesation from the metal and to wheel the won't change the color and if you paint them (that may be the only anwser) you have added maintance

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Smoaky, I have seen people wash down their aluminum boats every couple of months with diluted vinegar to keep their boats nicer looking. I don't know if it really works, but I can say that I only tried it once and it didn't work for me. Might have used the wrong mixture or sumpin. Chief ;)

north40

Petty Officer 1st Class

Go to an industrial supply company and ask for Aluminum Brightener or Aluminum Truck Cleaner. The product contains Hydroflouric, Sulfuric, Hydrocloric, and Phosphoric acids. Just brush on, let set for a few minutes and rinse off. Use a stiff brush on badly stained areas. Be sure to wear rubber gloves and eye protection because it will sting if you have sensative skin. Wear old clothing. It works.

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

Smoaky, there's many, many websites, threads and products for restoring aluminum boats, and from what I've seen, pontoons especially are of interest to people. I think there's a line of products called "toon brite" or something like that. Do a www search for keywords like aluminum, boat, cleaning, etc.<br /><br />That said, last year I cleaned up my aluminum boat with a concentrated procuct called "Super renews II" or something like that. It was concentrate of phosphoric acid, which had to be diluted depending on use ( I used a pump up lawn sprayer). It did a good job and looked pretty nice. I had some stuff called shark hide to protect the finish which I didn't get to. The shark hide would keep it from oxidizing again. The acid cleans it but it isn't left shiny.<br /><br />If you search for "shark hide" and "super renews II" you'll have a start.<br /><br />I've also seen people clean with the acid, then buff it out real nice with an aluminum polish. <br /><br />If I'm motivated this year, I think I'll clean it again and try buffing it. Or leave it alone since there's also a school of thought that the dull oxidized surface is actually good for an aluminum boat, protects it. FWIW, ya know.

buckeye_sean

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just finished doing what you mentioned to my aluminum basstracker. I actually wet-sanded my boat (starting with 400 grit and working up to 800 grit) which got rid of all the mineral deposits and dis-coloration. I then used a hard cloth buffing wheel on my grinder with aluminum polishing compound which removed all the swirls and brought the aluminum back to a mirror-like shine. It was a lot of work, but the end results are very nice.

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by BuckeyeBoater:<br /> Just finished doing what you mentioned to my aluminum basstracker. I actually wet-sanded my boat (starting with 400 grit and working up to 800 grit) which got rid of all the mineral deposits and dis-coloration. I then used a hard cloth buffing wheel on my grinder with aluminum polishing compound which removed all the swirls and brought the aluminum back to a mirror-like shine. It was a lot of work, but the end results are very nice.
How exactly did you do the wet sanding - by hand? Machine? Any photos, before during after? Thanks