wood floor

beertech44

Seaman Apprentice
Im redoing the floor on my aluminum boat. Is half inch plywood stained with outdoor wood sealer good enough.

tengals123

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: wood floor

IMO,<br /><br />No, it's not good enough. seal it properly with poly resin. Otherwise you'll be replacing it in a years time. cheers

tengals123

not at all. You can buy it hardware stores, homewares etc...

Realgun

Commander

I would suggest that you use as dry a treated plywood as you can find. Then use a good outdoor paint to seal it up. Minumum 2 coats and get the edges too.<br /><br />You could use just exterior plywood and use 2 coat of 2 part epoxy as poly is not as good sealer.

tengals123

if you can afford epoxy, yes it's better. Im not a fan of using outdoor paints in high traffic areas, such as a floor, but up to you i guess. cheers

flashback

Captain

beertech, you didn't give us too much info on the boat other than it is aluminum.. if I had a small fishing skiff I would just built the floor out of decking material like 5/4 by 6" PT and be done with it for 10 or 15 years.........any water will run right past it and into the bilge....... :D :D

beertech44

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry I have a 17 foot aluminum lowe boat. It has a front and back casting deck. I was hoping there was a plywood I can get at home depot or a big chain as im in canada and my options are limited. Is there a plywood and sealer I could get at home dept. I did notice they sold marine carpet there. My boat is stored indoors and the floor is rarely wet

tengals123

get some exterior ply, 2 part epoxy resin and coat the edges, top and bottom and install.

beertech44

Seaman Apprentice

can I find this epoxy resin at home depot how big of quantities does it come in. should I buy presure treated plywoon

Bondo

Staff member

Im redoing the floor on my aluminum boat. Is half inch plywood stained with outdoor wood sealer good enough.
I'm not saying that Any of the info above is Wrong,...Because it's Not........<br />But,.. For what you're trying to accomplish, I see an Awful lot of Overkill............<br /><br />I think that Your Plan A will do Just Fine......<br />Starting with P/T Plywood IS a Big Plus.......<br />P/T/ plywood, By itself will Outlast You,+ Your Boat........... :D

gewf631

Chief Petty Officer

I agree with Bondo.<br /><br />I've got a '76 Starcraft and the original 1/2" plywood wasn't P/T, just painted. No rot - but someone dropped a scuba tank and put a hole in the floor! <br /><br />I upped to 3/4" P/T - I'm sure it'll last just fine.

Wizard1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I've got a question, how well does the epoxy hold up on plywood? I mean , if your plywood floor flexes , over time would the epoxy crack underneath allowing moisture to penetrate the wood? If you can't tell I've never used epoxy before. :cool:

Wizard1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Tengals123, as I said I've never worked with epoxy so this helps me make what I think will be the right choice.