Anyone Launch into the Gulf Of California From AZ?

c09zahner

Recruit
I'm looking at buying my first boat, but I'm trying to decide if I should get what I really want (which is a cruiser about 27' with a 10' beam) or if I should just stick to something smaller for places like Roosevelt Lake here in AZ. One of the things that is going to sway my decision is how likely I would be to take trips down to the Gulf of California for multi-day trips. One of my concerns is safety, and where some of the better launch points are. So, with that in mind, has anyone launched from the eastern side of the gulf? If so how far north could I drop in from (I'm coming from Tucson)? Also, would I have to worry about my tow vehicle (secure parking etc)? I have an F-250 which seems to be stolen quite a bit these days and I don't particularly want to get stuck in Mexico with my boat on the water and no truck... my wife would surely end my boating adventures prematurely:grumpy:. What kind of costs are incurred from launch and parking when you went (not really a huge concern, but nice to know)? I really would love to get down there and do some fishing, camping, and snorkeling, but if its unsafe or too far, I'm not sure I'd be going very often if at all. One of the places I'd look to launch from is Puerto Penasco (north tip of the gulf).

eavega

Lieutenant
Re: Anyone Launch into the Gulf Of California From AZ?

I've been to Rocky Point (Puerto Penasco) a couple of times when I lived in Tucson. That was really before all the border problems started. Never went with a boat, though. My personal opinion is that it would be a tremendous hassle to trailer a boat from Tucson, Through Why, AZ and into Mexico. You have to consider the vehicle insurance you are required to be carrying with you when you drive into Mexico, and how towing a trailer will affect that. You would have to consider that there is NO roadside help should something happen to you on the road, and adding a trailer to that mix just compounds the problem. I am not sure if there are any accessible boat ramps in Rocky Point. I'm not even sure that Rocky Point is prepared to handle pleasure boaters (fuel docks, transient docks, etc). The best town I have seen for pleasure boating is San Carlos or San Felipe, but that is an extra hour to three hours driving through Mexico, which is not recommended nowadays. I wouldn't worry so much about having your truck stolen after you are there, as long as you are staying at one of the resorts where they have secured parking. Otherwise, yeah, you are running the risk of having your truck stolen.

My opinion (that and $2 will get you a small cup of coffee from Starbucks) is to forget about towing your boat down to Sea of Cortez unless you have a place down there with a dock where you can park and secure your vehicle, trailer, and boat, and only if you are going with a caravan of people that can help out in case of a breakdown of any sort. You are better off with a smaller boat that you can trailer and enjoy at Roosevelt, and when you really feel like finding bigger water, Havasu. If you really feel the need for big, big water (and the big, big boat to match), you are less than 6 hours from San Diego, CA which is I feel is infinitely safer and more pleasure boat friendly than the north end of Sea of Cortez.

Rgds

c09zahner

Recruit

I was already leaning towards the don't bother side of thinking, but I think I just needed an outside opinion to make me feel better about it. If there isn't much that far north I'd much rather head to San Diego if I'm really going to do a long trip to the ocean for a week or two and maybe go to Catalina. Either way, its not something that would happen regularly, nor is it going to be affecting my decision on what to buy. Thanks!

John3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I can't figure out why anyone would want to cross the border into Mexico to go boating. Granted the Sea of Cortez is fine cruising water. But, unless the Border Guards to the South of us have suddenly become Honest, Upstanding, Citizens it could cost more than you can imagine to get home again.
Quite a few years ago (The Kids are now in their mid 40"s) we caravanned there with our Power Squadron Group. Had a good Cruise, it was only when we crossed the border to come home, they claimed our Son and Daughter's Birth Certificates didn't look right & told us to leave without them & come back later. My Wife & I emptied our wallets and we all came home. NEVER AGAIN!
There is plenty of Great Cruising here in the US: Powell, Mead, Havasu, Mohave, Puget Sound, Sacramento River Delta, all the fine Marinas & Harbors along our coast, Catalina and the Channel Islands plus the smaller fresh water lakes.