Crank Shaft Disassembled

mbrownone

Seaman Apprentice
Its going to be a few weeks before I can get to rebuilding and reassembling my outboard powerhead. Is it OK to coat the crank with oil or other lube and store it carefully until I get back to it?? Or, is it better to leave it assembled in the power head until ready to bore out the cylinders? I want to have everything cleaned and old sealants/gaskets removed from the block but not sure if its proper to expose internal parts. I'm thinking I can coat everything with lubricant and wrap them until ready to complete the rebuild. I've got many many pics and labels for everything, but don't want my inexperience to cause unnecessary corrosion or damage due to everything being apart. Will a few weeks or a month make a difference if stored well and coated with oil?

-- its a 1986 Evinrude 90 hp

Last edited:

Rollinunknown

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Crank Shaft Disassembled

i dont know about salt water ...

But when i use to build motors we always cleaned them then coated them in 30wt oil or even gear oil .. then warped them in plastic wrap then put them in a trash bag ... But you have to watch out for moisture also from cold nights and stuff.

then we always drop them off to the machine shop when we were ready for the rebuild and have them hot tanked and check everything.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Crank Shaft Disassembled

Oil them up and protect them from dirt with some clean rags.