Starboard Engine Exhaust Steam

3607carver

Recruit
I replaced my starboard Crusader 454 , engine is rebuilt, new pumps, new risers, manifolds.
Water flow is excellent.
Had scoop on bottom checked to make sure it was ok.
At about 2000 rpms the exhaust starts steaming, temperature is fine, performance is fine.
It is driving me crazy and have exhausted all avenues, any ideas out there

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: Starboard Engine Exhaust Steam

I replaced my starboard Crusader 454 , engine is rebuilt, new pumps, new risers, manifolds.
Water flow is excellent.
At about 2000 rpms the exhaust starts steaming, temperature is fine, performance is fine.

Howdy,

Welcome aboard!

You might include serial/model numbers. You might also get yourself a Infrared temp "gun" like Harbor Freight sells. You can compare temps of teh manifolds and risers to see if you have a large difference in water flow to each riser.

If one is running a LOT hotter than the other (due to low flow on that side) , it can produce a fair amount of steam.

The hoses from the t-stat housing send water to the manifolds/risers and some of the housings have "check-balls" or other type of flow control that sometimes gets clogged/corroded and end up sending more water to one side than the other.

Regards,

Rick

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Starboard Engine Exhaust Steam

Water flow is excellent.

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... Like Rick says, Follow the flow of the water, 'n Test for flow at each junction,...

There's Gonna be some steam in boat exhaust too,...
The risers are dumpin' the exhausted water into the exhaust flow,...
Local weather conditions can come into play as well,...