Yamaha water pumping problem

John-y25

Recruit
Hi everyone,

I know that this question as been ask a couple of time already, but I can't find the exact solution on the forum for my problem.

I have a 1993 Yamaha 9.9R (9.9MSHR) that I just purchased. On my first run on the lake, I noticed that no water was coming out of the 'pee hole'. After a couple of research, I found out it was probably a problem with my water pump. I then purchased a new waterpump on ebay. Today I opened the motor to change the pump. I noticed that the old one looked really new, but decided to change it anyways. After the replacement, still no water coming out.

When I shoot air through the peehole, it doesn't look like something blocks it.

Anybody has a suggestion?
Thanks a lot!

robert graham

Admiral
Re: Yamaha water pumping problem

Trace that pee hole back to the rubber tube and back to the fitting on the cylinder head....stick a piece of heavy monofilament through it to be certain there's no blockage, like spiders or wasps building nests in there...

Shermanator31660

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Also check the screen at the bottom of the leg where the intake is located for the pump, sometimes that can get clogged with goo and harden in it and block the water. If you have water coming out of the leg up by the pump (my Yammy "leaks" by the shift column rod and indicates the water is at the pump) then you at least know its that high. I had a kicker that had been used in salt water quite a bit but was never rinsed out, turned out the salt collected in the narrow cooling channels in the head and blocked the water from coming through. Do your air hose thing through the pee hole and make sure its sealed enough so you can hear if air is coming out of the pump end. The problem with blowing air in to start with is that you could force any blockage that was near the pee hole, back further into the cooling channels.....Sherm

John-y25

Recruit

Thanks guy.

I tried your solution today. Still nothing...

Any other idea?

Thanks

Shermanator31660

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Are you getting air through the system when you put air through the "pee" hole? If you can't hear air coming out the other end then you may have a major blockage. The only way to possible "flush" it would be to take the pump section apart again and try and get air through that way to force it through the "pee" hole. If nothing else at least you would be eliminating that area as a problem...Sherm

Shermanator31660

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just thinking about this pumping problem, you sure you put the "key" back in for the impeller? Maybe its just sitting there spinning on the shaft! Sherm