3.0l Volvo penta overheating

mnlakefun

Recruit
Hi, I'm a new member here and thought I might ask this rather unique question.

I have a glastron sx 175 3.0l 2005 I believe and the engine will over heat when you pull a tube or a skier. The engine temp has always sat at 150f at idle and when full out, but once you hook up the tube, the temp goes up to 200f within a minute and the warning sound comes on. When I was behind on the tube, it seemed as if the engine sounded a little more growly or raw, but the driver in the boat cannot identify the sound difference.

I just replaced the impeller last year, because it is recommended that you do it every so often and I'm puzzled as to what the problem could be.

Thanks!

Oh and a side note, this boat/engine seems to be very loud in general and sounds the same on other boats that have the same SA Volvo drive. Anybody know why that is/how to dampen the noise?

RogersJetboat454

Commander
Re: 3.0l Volvo penta overheating

Welcome to Iboats.

First things first...
Inspect the impeller. Doesn't matter that you replaced it last year. A bag carelessly tossed in the water that found its way to the water inlet of the drive (restricting flow), or a couple of brief starts on land with out water is all it takes to shred one up.

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 3.0l Volvo penta overheating

Agree with the impeller scenario. Replace it, it's easy to do. Keep an extra around.

My 3.0L V-P SX is loud too. I think some of has to do with the exhuast exiting the cavitation plate instead of the prop.

However, I've heard some loud MerCruisers too. But I think those had bad bellows.