Best repair manual?

Kingfshr

Cadet
To whomever,

For complete repairs on a Johnson (mine is a 1997 50 HP), what is the best repair manual to purchase? Is the Seloc the best...are there others? I am interested in doing repairs that are reachable, rather than retooling cylinders, etc.

Thanks for the responses before you do.

delta229

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Best repair manual?

You will get a lot of responses but I say, don't buy Seloc. I have tried them sever times and find too many errors.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

A factory produced manual is ALWAYS the best.
All the others are a roll of the dice.

wrmdunker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Get the exact factory manual for your motor on ebay. Usually 25 to 35 dollars. You wont regret it. If you cant find the Johnson, just get the Evinrude.

Kingfshr

Cadet

Thanks all. Makes sense, though believe it or not, I did not know that the manufacturer put those things out. I thought they were like Chevrolet (I have several): they don't want me to know how to repair, they really want to see me again.

Glad I asked.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Thanks all. Makes sense, though believe it or not, I did not know that the manufacturer put those things out. I thought they were like Chevrolet (I have several): they don't want me to know how to repair, they really want to see me again.

Allot of the factory manuals you see on E-bay may have started off at a dealership, or in a dealership tech's tool box. But most manufactures make their manuals available.

FWIW factory manuals are available for your Chevy...
For a nominal fee you can access the manuals here;
https://www.acdelcotds.com/acdelco/action/home

r.j.dawg

Ensign

That's not a factory manual though. Read the beginning "We at Seloc". Factory manuals typically don't cover a broad range of years and models. They are usually very specific to year/model (and that's what makes them better).

Holy smokes, your right. I didn't really read it. Just thought it would be like the VP, Mercruiser, Mercury manuals on their site. What a rip. Thanks Roger.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Holy smokes, your right. I didn't really read it. Just thought it would be like the VP, Mercruiser, Mercury manuals on their site. What a rip. Thanks Roger.

Gotta be careful. While that site can be a pot of gold for factory stuff, sometimes you get gypped.
Truthfully I knew that one was a Seloc, because I took a look at it the other day... :D ;)

Kingfshr

Cadet

wrmdunker

I think mine is a 2 cylinder, unless I'm missing one...which is possible. Would that OMC manual work?