Pontoon boat controls

jdwelcher

Recruit
I have a 1995 Sun Tracker Party hut and when i got it the shift handle was broken. It is mounted on the side of the console, so i took controls off of another ski boat that had side controls and i knew that it would shift backwards so i changed the shift cable, but there is no way to change the throttle cable and it will only throttle up halway in forward and go full throttle in reverse. I think im going to just buy a whole new control box, do they make one that is for the side mount on the center console, all i can find is for the side mount on a regular boat.

delta229

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Pontoon boat controls

Mounting a side mount control on a center console can be a pain! Most center console boats use a binnacle mount in the dash. Most side controls (like mine) will let you switch the handle to the opposite side but the trim buttons are the wrong direction. For example, my center console had a binnacle control but during restoration I decided to go with side controls. I chose to mount mine on the left side of the console to allow another seat to be mounted. I made a "Stand off" bracket to allow me to keep the handle and trim buttons in the right direction.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Get the right controller, its cheep and easier and a lot safer.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

I agree. Buy a new binnacle style controller. They're not too expensive, and it's something you want to operate right.

jdwelcher

Recruit

There is not room on my console to mount anything but a side mount control box, would any of the teleflex or uflex universal controls work, they say they can be mounted on either side and in any position?

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

Did mine like this-
Case of having to use what you have--
BOAT021.jpg
MAK020.jpg

Last edited: