Air circulation effect on resin???

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class
Does air circulation have any effect on the kick time for resin? with this heat I'll need a fan in my boat just to keep working but I dont want to shoot myself in the foot by using one. Im sure I should catalize the resin at a lesser rate also due to the high temps here in Mich this weekend???

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
Re: Air circulation effect on resin???

Does air circulation have any effect on the kick time for resin? with this heat I'll need a fan in my boat just to keep working but I dont want to shoot myself in the foot by using one. Im sure I should catalize the resin at a lesser rate also due to the high temps here in Mich this weekend???

I dont know what you plan on doing with resin ( glassin or fillin ) .. but you dont need to be out in the heat like this right now.

Filling some cracks with Hair is fine .. actually its a good time to do some filling and fairing.

But for Lams .. actually layups of glass .. not a good idea to do it right now.

Its not the fan that will determine the working time of the pot of resin .. but the cure time of the surface. If your drained then all other things go to waste. ... You cant be Drained and expect a good lam schedule Unless your used to the heat and the Duration of such an expected Health implications of the process.

I suggest you take it easy until the Heat calms down a bit. ..

We as glass guys cant work in the cold .. nor can we work in High Heat if its a Lam or Grindout.

Hope this helps.

YD.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Wind from a fan won't effect the cure time but the temps sure will. It's bad for you too!!!;)
It's never a good idea to work with glass in high temps. It's not just the resin temps but the temp of the substrate as well that can cause issues. It's also not good for you. Trust me, when I was building pools years ago I suffered a Heat Stroke and almost died. I was in the Hospital for 3 days. Now that I'm older, I can't take the heat at all. Don't push it!!!! Either get up real early or do it late at night. I don't think I'd glass when temps were over 90 unless it was filleting or fixing gouges etc... Big Fabric layups etc are just to hard to do in high temps.

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks like I might be waiting till Sat, supposed to easy up some and be mid 80's Sat and Sun.

chconger

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wind from a fan won't effect the cure time but the temps sure will. It's bad for you too!!!;)
It's never a good idea to work with glass in high temps. It's not just the resin temps but the temp of the substrate as well that can cause issues. It's also not good for you. Trust me, when I was building pools years ago I suffered a Heat Stroke and almost died. I was in the Hospital for 3 days. Now that I'm older, I can't take the heat at all. Don't push it!!!! Either get up real early or do it late at night. I don't think I'd glass when temps were over 90 unless it was filleting or fixing gouges etc... Big Fabric layups etc are just to hard to do in high temps.

Same advise for epoxy as well as poly?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Epoxy cures slower than Poly unless you use the "Fast Cure" catalyst and High Temps will make Epoxy cure faster just like Poly. The wear and tear on your Personal Self is all the same and for Me personally it's just NOT gunna happen. Wish I was rich enuf to have a Climate Controlled shop. But...If I was that rich, I'd probably hire someone to do this kind of work and spend my time on the lake Fishing!!!!:lol:

Last edited:

pauloman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

as an epoxy professional for over 20 years I can state that the only thing air circ does to help remove the heat generated when the epoxy "kick off" - by removing this self generated heat it slows things down a bit. Just like why the epoxy in the mix bucket kicks before the epoxy spread out on the boat hull